Chapter 12, Followed

I know someone's following me

I know someone's following me. Whether it's my sixth sense or just because I'm hearing actual footsteps behind me, I just know.

School's done for the day and everyone is leaving to get home. Jessy and I are parked away from where most kids are, so hearing footsteps following us, gets my suspicions to raise. 

"Who's following us?" I ask Jessy when we get to her Ford.

She makes to turn around, but I grab her arm. "No, don't look," I hiss.

"Then how on earth should I know who's following us, Amber? I can't smell them!" she stage-whispers back.

I blink. "Well, that makes sense, I guess," I admit. Jessy rolls her eyes - something I suspect she learned from her dad.

"Okay, I'm going to turn and face you, and pretend I'm talking," I explain.

"Aren't you talking to me now?" she asks.

"Shush, young one," I say and turn to face her. Okay, maybe she's older than me. I still have to turn 18.

"Hahahaha, yes. Hahahaha, I remember that, Jessy. Hahaha, no. Hahaha, that's so funny-"

"Amber, what are you doing?" Jessy interrupts.

I'm talking to her like I'm some cartoon character to make it look like we're talking, but maybe my acting skills need some work.

"Just actually talk to me. Do you see anyone?" she asks.

I laugh like she just said a joke, "Hahahaha, yeah! Someone's staring at us right now," I say with a big-fat smile stuck on my face.

"Who is it?" Jessy asks.

"Hahahaha, that's so true! I don't know them, but they're wearing leather Jackets," I explain.

Jessy's face goes serious. "Describe them to me..." she breathes.

"Hahahaha, no, Jessy! Well, one of them has military-styled short hair and big-ass arms and-"

"That's Liam," Jessy says and the blood is drained from her face.

"Hahahah, your ex?"

"You can stop fake-laughing now."