Chapter 59.2, Darkness and pledges

When I wake up, I wake up in darkness

When I wake up, I wake up in darkness. The room is bright. Sunlight is streaming in and everything is so damn white. Yet, I'm in complete darkness. 

But I can see the end. The light. No, not that light. It's like I'm huddled in the bottom of a cold, dark well and when I squint my eyes, I can see an opening above. I can still see the light.

The next thing I realize is that my throat is dry. Insanely dry. I try swallowing, but something is lodged in my throat. At the same time the sound of rapid beating starts to grow from the heat monitor. I feel so heavy, it takes all my strength to sit up and claw at the bulky thing that's in my mouth.

"Whoa, relax!" someone says.

I turn and it's Lynch. His hair grown back and his goofy smile is exactly how I remembered it. I'm dead, I realize. This must be heaven, because I'm dead. Or maybe it's a fucked up version of hell? Does this mean Lynch is dead as well? I want to feel my heart break at the thought of Lynch being dead, but... I feel nothing.

I reach out with my hand to touch Lynch's hair. The real Lynch is in a coma and he's bald. This is all a dream.

"No, no, no, don't touch my hair! I didn't expect you to wake up today. I would've washed my hair for this moment!" Lynch protests.

I claw at the thing in my throat again and this time Lynch helps me pull out the tube. I gesture to my throat and Lynch immediately hands me a glass of water. I gulp down the content before smiling back at Lynch.

"When's the last time you washed your hair?" I ask.

"At least about eight hours ago," Lynch sighs.

"I wish you were awake..." I mumble, because I don't want Lynch to just be in my dreams.

"Trust me, you don't. He's been going on and on about his conditioner ever since he woke up," I hear someone say from the door of the bright hospital room.

It's Blake.

"You're dead too?" I ask.

"Not today," Blake says and walks/rushes over to me. He crouches down by my bed - checking if I'm fine. "I can't believe you're finally awake," Blake mumbles with tears in his eyes.