3. A Curious Prince

👑

Prince Cormac stood on the balcony adjoined to his bedroom. The Kingdom of Seridina stood lively below. His lips tugged into a smile as a greeting to his future kingdom. Prince Cormac would always frown when his eyes met the Iron Fortress. His mornings was always filled with questions concerning Area fifteen.

It stuck out like a swore thumb amongst the rest of Seridina. Its walls hard to miss and the insides unknown. As the Prince of Seridina, Cormac always thought why he didn't know what lies within the Fortress. His father, King Rhett, would always tell him that it was plagued with the disease of many. That he should never enter the Kingdom, as fear his only son would get infected. A new fifteen is born everyday, he recalled his father saying, a look of disgust on his face.

Area fifteen was always an interesting place to Prince Cormac. With walls that high, there's no one who wouldn't want to peek inside and get a look. He would dismiss his father's saying the people inside was diseased. Commander Amir and his troops would always come back without a scratch and healthier than ever when giving a report to the King.

Prince Cormac arched himself over the balcony, squinting his eyes as he tried to get a look at something he never saw before. He could only admire the city from above, King Rhett would never dare allow him to set a foot in town unless it was over his dead body. The view didn't offer much, but Prince Cormac was grateful he could see his people.

"Your highness," he heard someone called. "You'll fall if you push yourself any further."

Prince Cormac arched himself forward just to tease his servant. Pulling back when he heard his servant repeating himself. Cormac brushed his hair behind his ear, his eyes finding the high raising walls again, "Iker, what do you think of Area Fifteen?"

"I don't have much to say, Your highness." Iker replied. "Area Fifteen is a place for the --" Prince Cormac turned to look at Iker, frowning as he raised and hand to dismiss him.  

"I asked what is your thought, not what you've been told to tell me." Prince Cormac spoke, crossing his arms over his silky ruby red robe, aligned with gold. His lips pressed into a thin line as he awaited Iker's reply. The days had changed, but Iker's answer never did. Prince Cormac always hoped a new day would be different.

Iker kept his hands behind his back, his eyes littered with loyalty as he looked towards his Prince, "I don't have anything to say." he answered.

Prince Cormac frowned deepened as he walked over to Iker, his robe brushing along the carpet. Glaring at his servant, he forcefully removed his hands from his back, allowing them to fall to his side, "Is this how you treat a friend Iker?" The Prince said with saddened eyes.

Iker stood determined, his face hard as the walls of the room, "I'm nothing more than your servant, Prince Cormac." his words made the prince gasp, biting onto his bottom lip.

The Prince always considered Iker his friend. He was never allowed to go out and make any. The only time he was allowed to leave was to another Kingdom for business purposes. "Then as my servant, I demand you answer me." Prince Cormac ordered. He didn't want to use such lowly methods but Iker left him with no choice.

The Prince rushed across the room, drawing the curtains of his bedroom window, "Why does my father desire for me not to know who rules Aperia and why?" he pointed out into the distances at the small Kingdom of Aperia. His fingers shifted to the side where a rather huge castle stood, "Why can't I know anything about that castle?"