17. Forgetting is Hard.....Don't hurt in the process

🌈

Phoenix wanted to forget everything he did with Ace. Everything that was said. It was the only thing that clouded his mind. It was the first someone had looked at him in such at light that he couldn't help but think about it. Ace was unsure and so was Phoenix.

Phoenix disregard every thought of Ace he had. Today he was venturing outside of Area Fifteen after such a long time. Ace was able to go and come as he pleased. Phoenix didn't want to risk it and his leg was okay now. The lack in guards struck him as odd. Phoenix expected there to be much more guards than before. They were just as lacking or even worst than before.

He was reconsidering going outside today. Phoenix knew they needed stuff and if he went to the book house he would only remember about Ace. They boy became a part of his life. A part that Phoenix never expected. Pulling at the emotions he thought never existed. That's why he needed to get out. He needed to see Axton, to let him forget.

All he needed and what his life has been upon till now was to take care of  Siobhan and the others. Phoenix feared that with Ace, he would be pulled away from his duties. Pulled away from what he's built upon till this moment. All those words Ace spoke about him inspiring hope withing the people inside Area Fifteen. Telling him that they could work together and eliminate all that's been done to them. To escape this place and breathe a fresh new breath of air. It was all Phoenix ever wanted, to let the others escape this place.

Axton was just apart of that. He would be lying if he said Ace's words didn't had him thinking of the possibility that they could change the peoples life here. It was just the two of them against the king, against the Kingdom of Seridina. How would they go about it without resulting in their head being taken from them.

It was a small step and only two persons. But that meant the King hadn't crushed the hopes of everyone inside the Iron Fortress. It meant that Phoenix wasn't the only one willing to fight for better. He removed the brick from his secret escape, moving through as he took deep breaths. He stacked them back before making his way to the Garrett District.   

It was getting disperse more and more. Soon enough Area fifteen would be the same. No one would want to be themselves, hide in secrecy and live the life the Kingdom forced them into. Soon there will be no more Area fifteen. No one would have to look up at the Iron Fortress in disgust or fear of being inside one day.

Phoenix didn't want to envision the fall of these walls because everyone inside wasted away like the king wanted. He didn't want to see the people fearing to show the love that they felt. The walls should fall because they fought for the same kind of love as everyone else. Seeking a life, not as a captured bird but as a person who can be themselves. 

The people inside might have lost their hopes. But they were brave, that's what they were. They were brave enough to show who they were. The King had his reasons and so did Phoenix. Phoenix had his reasons to fight. Ace just happen to add more wood to his fire. Not only the flames of a possible rebellion but the flames of something else too.

He reached the house him and Axton shared. Surprised to see the man there, a white rose in his hands as he smelt the fragrance. Phoenix approached him quietly, the floor boards creaking giving him away. Axton turned to look at him, surprised to see that Phoenix had shown up.

"I thought you forgot about me." Axton said, standing to his feet then walking towards Phoenix. He placed the rose behind Phoenix's ears, running his hand along his face.

"When you get an arrow in your leg you tend to stay away." he responded, resting a hand atop Axton's, leaning into the touch. "But I'm here now and I need to get my mind off things." he pulled at Axton's trouser earning a deep chuckle from the man.

"You're more eager than usual." He said in low voice, brushing his thumb over Phoenix's lips. "I can't say I dislike it at all."

As Axton brought their lips close. His eyes closed, he wanted to forget about the face that was the first thing he saw when he closed his eyes, the feelings that were overtaking him. The fear of being led astray, to forget that he would not do what was meant of him. To be blinded by something that he forgets what's there. He didn't want to be blinded by Ace and the connection that was forming between them.

Ace was different. He wanted to believe tha, no he knew that. Ace was the type to stand along side him. To help him and the others. Phoenix only knew how to do things on his own. Ace saw what he saw, felt what he felt but it was his inner fears that stopped him. They weren't strong enough to remove what he felt. They only bind him to the past.

"You said you've lived in Area fifteen all your life." Axton spoke. Phoenix resting in his arms. "I'm trying to find someone."

Phoenix was growing curious as to who Axton wanted to find. He rarely spoke of anything pertaining to his life. "I can't guarantee you I know this person. I may have helped a lot of people but also a lot have died."

"That's what I want to know." Axton said. "I'm not sure if that person is still alive or dead. It would be a pain if he was dead." he muttered something else that Phoenix didn't catch.

"Do you know their name?" Phoenix asked. He's met a lot of fifteen in his life. Maybe he could recall that persons name though he couldn't be sure if they were alive of not. 

"They go by Relufian." Axton informed him. "Though I'm sure they might go by something else now." he added.

It was an odd name. Phoenix had never met anyone with that name before and if they changed their name it could be a possibility that he's met that person but not knowing their real name. "I could ask around." he suggested. If he got a reaction of any sorts from just mentioning the name he knew he got the right person.

"I need to find them and fast." Axton said, his face hard and serious.

Phoenix traced a hand along Axton's chest. "Whose this person you're so desperate to find?"

Axton looked over to him, "would you believe me if I said an ex lover of mine."

Phoenix frown, rising from the bed and looking at Axton. "There you go again, lying." Axton chuckled.

"I knew you were sharp. The truth can be a burden to others, much like a secret. We lie so we can get the things we seek. If I told you the truth now, would anything change between us? How about you, how many times have you lied? Does the person you're trying to get onewed knows your doing it?" 

Phoenix averted his gaze, "That doesn't matter." his voice was almost a whisper.

"You may think your King is having mercy by giving fifteens the option to free themselves from that place." Axton said. "You're the first person I know trying to get that done. You'll save a thousand Rubis' to let someone else live in this place. What's so great about the Garrett District? Is it any different from Area fifteen?"

"What would you know!" Phoenix spat. "You sit in Pixie Tower and look down on us. Getting out of that place would be the best thing to happen to any of us. So what if I'm working so someone else could be free?"

"Pixie Tower is the last place I want to be." Axton said with much disgust. "I'm only here because I hate to see that thing standing and knowing what's inside. Think about it Phoenix, do you really think your King will set you free? He set that thing knowing no one would attempt it. A thousand Rubis', no fifteen could gain that. He enjoys seeing you people suffer."

Axton stood, looking at Phoenix with a cold stare. "Our titles might be different, and I don't look down on anyone from where I stand. One day you'll realize how much I've helped you and those inside Area fifteen."

Phoenix didn't know how to respond. Feeling like all his work was for nothing. "Find that person, you'll do us both a favour."

🌈