31. Tricking the Trickster

🖤

King Rhett stared at his son standing before him. He slumped in his chair, his index finger tapping in a slow rhythm. He wondered where he went wrong in raising the boy for him to do such a thing. All he did was protected Cormac from the truth. The very truth that came back and bit him. The truth that made his son propose to a fifteen in front of the whole Kingdom.

Cormac stood quietly. It was because of protection him from the truth, feeding him with lies that he had to resort to such measures. "Thank you father." he broke the silence that settled between them. King Rhett titled his head slightly to the side, raising a rather bushy brow his son way. "Thank you for feeding me such lies. If you haven't I wouldn't be in such a situation. I made my own judgement, forge my own path not what you had wanted." King Rhett stopped tapping his finger, anger eating away at his insides.

"You even allowed me the chance of meeting my destined partner. I really should thank you." He bowed to the King, a smile on his lips. Cormac raised his head, "This Kingdom will be washed away," King Rhett remembered those very words. "And be born anew. Look forward to it father."

King Rhett burst into a fit of laughter. ' Has he gone mad ', Cromac thought. King Rhett was glad he didn't share all his secrets with his heir just yet, otherwise his son would be turning to those Relufians for further help. His scheme had cause great a damage already. Having the Relufians involved will have the King removed from his throne. That is if Cormac could win them over.

King Rhett wondered back to the boy. Phoenix he recalled, a bitter stain in his mind at the sight of the boy. He looked up at his son, "I think you have it all wrong son," he began. "If anything I would love to support this idea of yours." Cormac was visible shocked. "My rule and ways seems to be over. It's time for a strong willed person like you to show this Kingdom what a true ruler looks like."

Cormac didn't know whether he should believe his father or not. He could just be pulling at his leg. There was no way he would allow it so easily. Cormac would proceed however he liked. With things going great, he also managed to stop the war that would start with Peruel.

"About your wedding," King Rhett proceeded to ask. "Shall we Wed you two on the same date as you and Princess Ximera or a sooner date will be more suitable?"

"That's something for me to decide." Cromac responded. Phoenix had yet to given him a respond to the proposal. He left with a rather sour expression. Cormac knew it was his fault, he hadn't informed him of him and Ximera. He had yet made another mistake. "There's something I would like to ask you father,"

King Rhett sat up in his chair, propping his elbows onto his desk as he joined his finger. "Why did the former King Malachi build the Iron Fortress?" he asked. "The Laqum Kingdom loves their people more than anything. I can't see him building such a thing knowing what was going to be inside."

The King wasn't going to question where Cormac learnt about King Malachi. His recent visits to the Kingdom might prove it. King Rhett didn't see a need not to answer his question. There would be no benefits to his son. "He built the Iron Fortress." he said short and simple. 

Cormac took the short and rather simple answer and deciphered it on his own. Thinking that Malachi didn't know what was going to be placed inside. "What happened to Arabella's father?" He shot another question the man way.

"He's dead." King Rhett replied quickly, making Cormac raise a brow.

"About Aperia and the castle--" King Rhett raised a hand to stop him. Cormac thought it was the best time to get the answers he needed from him.