22. Battle Scars

👑

The danger level of what Iker was doing was set high. He slipped away during breakfast while Prince Cormac and the king had breakfast. He excused himself to start his other chores. Truthfully, he was trying to sneak into the King's chamber.

Iker didn't fail to notice the high spirits the prince was in. He was preoccupied with handling the situation at hand and with the Prince constant visits to Area fifteen. They haven't had much time to talk.

Iker felt that it was time he told the prince of what he saw. With the rebellious and defiant streak he's been showing towards the King. Iker's gut was telling him that prince Cormac has made his decision based on the truth. Forging a path that was likely different from his father. It was time Iker shared what little he knew.

He rushed up the stairs, a ruby red carpet running along it with gold edges. The Colours of the Seridina Kingdom. Iker walked pass the other servants, trying to remain calm even though he was beyond nervous.

The king chamber's came in sight. Bringing back the dreaded night to Iker. He took a deep breath, shaking his hands as if to rid it of the shaking due to his nervousness. There was no need to worry. All Iker had to do was go inside and get whatever information he could and even help the man.

Iker was stuck ever since Commander Amir said the closest thing the king had to a friend had died. He didn't think the man would answer the questions even if was alive. That was if he valued his friendship with King Rhett above all. It was a starting point for Iker.

A starting point that meant he had to sneak into the King's chambers to seek information from the man below. Iker rested his shaky hands on the knob. Reminding himself that the King was having breakfast, leaving him a few minutes to get in, talk and get out.

He pushed in, peeking his head inside. The first time he entered the room gave him bad memories that he had to live with. The King wasn't here, he couldn't trick him again and bind his hands, striking him numerous times. The room was empty.

Iker took light steps in, looking towards the large flag on the wall. All he needed to know stood behind that wall along with his fears. He walked pass his desk, stopping when he saw something that caught his eyes.

He pulled opened the ajar drawer. An old letter sat amongst the pile of papers. The seal on the letter was that of the golden wings he'd always see. The letter inside was removed. Iker turned it onto the back. "Emory C. Relufian." Iker read what was skillfully written in the corner.

It had Iker thinking who that person was and how was that person in relation to the king. And what was the contents of the letter. Iker placed it back in its original spot, remembering the task at hand.

He lifted the Flag, looking at the brick wall. Iker tried recalling which of the many was the right one. He started randomly pressing each one, looking over his shoulders at the door. Each brick remained in place. Iker was getting anxious. He's wasted enough time as it is already.

He pressed a brick a little more to the right than he did before, the brick sinking a bit at the touch.

King Rhett wiped his mouth after a silent breakfast with his son. The boy has been changing over the last few days. A change that King Rhett didn't expect but welcomed. He thought that prince Cormac was becoming like him, not a streak of his mother to be seen.

"I'll be leaving for Laqum later today for the Moonlight Festival." Prince Cormac said, standing to his feet. "Until then, I will be preparing for my leave."

Prince Cormac didn't wait for a respond before he left. The King wasn't angry at Prince Cormac. The one thing that bought about the first flames of hell and occasional hatred to his son was the fact he obtained his mother's feature.