26. The things I do

🌈

Two more days and Phoenix had to come up with his reply. All that kept playing in his mind was the fact that Ace wasn't Ace. That Ace was a Prince. Phoenix was trying to wrapped his head around it. He was in love with the son of the man who made the lives of countless miserable.

He wasn't blaming Ace for his father's action. He was still trying to get use to calling him by his right name, Cormac. He was different from his father. That much Phoenix could realize. It was the lie of it all, the lie that made Phoenix feel hurt. He felt that Ace couldn't trust him enough to tell him that. That he had to lie.

Phoenix recalled him saying he came here to find what lies inside the Iron Fortress. He started out as someone suspicious, hiding his true self for obvious reason. He knew that Ace could just walk from out the castle and come all the way here, bearing the title of Prince. It would draw attention and he wouldn't even be able to enter the Iron Fortress. There would be a few who wouldn't believe him.

They became close, holding the other's heart in their hand. That should be enough for him to tell him sooner. Phoenix bared his soul, formed a new hope with him. He shared things he hadn't with Siobhan. He was truly happy for the first time in his life. Maybe it was harder for Ace. Telling Phoenix was hard for him.

He was caught up with the flow of love that he himself was forgetting who he was. The lie became heavier each time. He lifted that weight and left a painful sensation. Phoenix wiped his eyes, pulling his knees closer as he sniffle a cry. He had to think about his answer. The King could be in his reach with a simple yes. It was clear as day the man hated anyone who didn't fall into a relationship they were all familiar with.

That bothered Phoenix. How did he know that everything would go okay at the coronation. He trusted Ace through all that's been happening. It was the King he didn't trust. He didn't know the man personally. By his handy work, anyone could tell he was despicable. Phoenix took a deep breath, this was what he always wanted but he was being held back.

His aching heart was making him unsure when he shouldn't be. All his life he's been working for a way out. Siobhan could leave along with the others and many more. Phoenix looked around the book house, as if he could see the after image of all the things they did, the moments they shared.

He loved the other boy, he really did. Phoenix had two more days, by then he should have his answers. He should calm down and be able to make a collective decision. Footsteps sounded outside the book house. Stella came in, smiling faintly at Phoenix. He quickly wiped the remaining tears from his eyes, keeping his gaze to the floor.

Stella sat beside Phoenix after placing a book down on the floor. Using it as a barrier between her and the floor. She ran her hand in a circular motion on Phoenix's back. He chewed on his bottom lip, trying to hold back the tears.

"Siobhan said something happened." she finally said. "That you've not been yourself. You just won't stop worrying her." Stella bought him into her arms, rubbing her hand up and down his arm in a comforting way. "Did something happen with you and Ace?"

Just his name erupted his emotions like a volcano. Phoenix closed his eyes and opened it. "I-- he said that-- I'm not sure what to do Ma." Phoenix forced out, not sure how to tell Stella.

"You love him don't you?" Stella asked. Phoenix 'hm-med' in reply. "Then that's all you need to know. If you love and trust him, then everything will be fine."

"He's the-- he's the Prince Ma." Phoenix finally said. Stella was beyond shocked. That was the last thing she figured Phoenix would say. Phoenix knew that Ace was the same person as Cormac. Everything he's done and said until now didn't change along with his name and title. The same person who loves Phoenix. Suddenly they felt worlds apart.