5. Secrets

🌈

Phoenix was in a pinch. It was the end of week which meant his daily rounds outside of Area Fifteen amongst other duty. The gates were heavily guarded as it always was. Seridian guards stood proudly with their swords ready to cut down any Fifteen who dares tries to run away. There was nothing to be proud about.

Phoenix always thought a man who weaves a sword should be able to protect the people at the cost of their lives. Seridian guards were nothing but imposters, they pointed their swords at anyone who bore the branded mark, who claims the name fifteen. They shed the blood of their own with no remorse, following the King's order like a blind man. They didn't lay down their lives for the people of Seridina, they pointed their swords at their own; despicable.

Phoenix stood to the bushes nearest to the gates. His back pressed against the wall, making sure the guards weren't looking in his direction. It was usual for him to be in such a spot in Sector One. Phoenix swiftly ran across, ducking amongst the bushes. A guard looked his way, hands on his swords before he walked away. Phoenix let out a heavy breath, his heartbeat speeding up.

Phoenix found his way through the bushes. His escape marked by a chip in the wall, a X which he carved above it. He was scooping around Sector one when he found the broken section in the wall, as if it had taken a hard blow. Phoenix took weeks to dig through it. Smashing a hole in the wall without drawing too much attraction. It led to an area in the Garrett District. Guards were set at every point in the wall, Phoenix was surprised when he saw no one when he smashed through, bricks falling and the rise of debris. He was careful in what he was doing, aligning bricks to block the hole he created, leaving a hole which he could peek through. Phoenix soon got to learn about the guards that were set there. On Fridays, or rather most days, they found their entertainment in the Garrett District, women and beer to their likes.

Phoenix thought he was a lucky star. To have an escape out of Area Fifteen and guards who lacked the capability to follow through with their task. The guards of Seridina was nothing but a joke. Phoenix took his route as evey other Friday. Lowering his head as he made way through the Garrett District. The place was lacking in every aspects, no different from what's inside the Iron Fortress. They were alike in similar aspects: there were those that were homeless, houses that were unfit, lack of the necessities to carry them through life. Phoenix knew the people of the Garrett District had it better than the fifteens, even if it was just a single grain in the sand. They had the opportunity to earn their share of Rubis'; living close but not withing the walls. Worst of all, the people of Garrett District and the fifteens were abandoned by the King. Nothing more than a disgrace to his Kingdom.

It wasn't long before phoenix was walking in the District of Thornburg. It was well off than the Garrett District with its working class and abundance of supplies. Phoenix received looks of disgust. His tattered clothes and unkept hair made him stood out. A patch of dried grass amongst luscious green. He ignored it, used to the unpleasant stares he received. He looked up into the sky, thinking it was different from the view Area fifteen offered. His eyes met the castle far ahead, hate in his eyes as he thought of the King. To the left of the castle down below where Pixie Tower was, wondering if he would see him today.

Phoenix sucked in a deep breath, pulling out the sack he carried as he headed to the market. He distracted himself as he slipped in food items as he wondered through the crowd of people. Ignoring the curses he got when he bumped into someone. He knew well that stealing was wrong, reaching out for his pendant to feel an empty space.

He never ventured outside with it, fear of it being lost. He lowered his hand, they left him no choice. The king left him, amongst others with no choice. Phoenix thought of the others, knowing this selfless act was for them.