18. Hopelessly in Love

👑

Prince Cormac sat in the dining hall, a plate of breakfast before him. His mind was somewhere else as he ate away at his meal. Nothing hurt him more than knowing he sat inside this very castle, unknowing to the suffering below. The lies he's been fed was starting to taste bitter as the truth came out.

He stabbed the loaf of bread on his plate, recalling King's Rhett words. Every time he looked from his balcony King Rhett lies slowly started to take place in his mind. It was unknowing to Prince Cormac how the man could lie to his own son for years. What did he gain from doing so?

Did he think the Prince would mindlessly listened to his words. Stayed away from the place because he said the people inside were diseased? Prince Cormac knew then that he wasn't fit to be King. He didn't know the first thing about ruling or his people. He now knew what he had to protect, what he had to save.

Diseased. The word became a horrid lullaby to the Prince. How was loving someone a disease? He's seen it with his own eyes. The things his father had done. How the people still tried to smile, how the children stilled played through all the hatred the King threw at them. It was because they had someone like Phoenix.

Even the Prince came to know that love. Something he would never gain by staying here in the castle. How did his father expect him to become a true king if he kept such secrets from him? The truth was like a blow to the back from the sharpest of swords. It pained the Prince and the wound won't heal unless he changed the truth to something better, something that wasn't so hurtful.

The Prince decided on telling Phoenix the truth, thinking he shouldn't wait a minute longer. He didn't need to second guess what he felt anymore. Phoenix was all he could see beyond all the sadness he's seen throughout the kingdom. The boy was like a capturer. Taking a hold of Prince Cormac from the first time they met. Maybe it was fated that he snuck out that night, that Phoenix got hit in the leg with an arrow. It brought them together.

He won't fail Phoenix in what he fights for. And he won't fail him in what he felt. His emotions was set to a melodic tune that only played for Phoenix. The only obstacle was his father. How could he get him to change his ways? To break the walls and unite the Kingdom as one. Prince Cormac has set his mind, even the King won't be able to stop him, even when he's the biggest of obstacles. The people of Seridina deserved to be free. Free from the dominance that instil fear in them. Playing in the hands of King Rhett.

What could possibly allow his father to drive the Kingdom into such madness. As if the man could feel the venomous thoughts his son had against him, he walked in with heavy steps.

Prince Cormac suddenly lost his appetite. Looking up at the man who he's supposed to call a father, a King. The man who lied to him for years. King Rhett looked over to his son with burning flames in his eyes, wondering if the boy has grown a defiant backbone.

"Your coronation is getting closer." King Rhett said, taking his seat. He didn't sound happy. His son has not proven to be ready in his sight.

Prince Cormac 'hm-med'. He was making plans of his own. He knew that a week after his coronation he'll be wed with Princess Ximera. Prince Cormac has been thinking how to deal with that. He wasn't romantically involved with Princess Ximera. She was a beautiful girl and they both knew that their hearts didn't ly with each other.

The Prince knew where his heart ly now. Princess Ximera was a friend of his outside of the Kingdom. He was sure she would understand but it was his father that would would be angry with him. In all right, the Prince should be the one angry with King Rhett.