39. The Missing Pieces {2}

🖤

Malachi. Phoenix had heard Queen Zelda mentioned his name before. Phoenix eyed travelled to Arabella who was crying and slumped on the floor. Ximera cradled her as she looked at Malachi with disbelief. King Maverick as Phoenix had come to know him as stood to his feet as he gazed upon Malachi.

"Malachi," Maverick could barely get his name out. He was lurking for the secrets of what led to his brother's death, only to be faced by a truth he wished for but thought would never happen. Malachi was rather slim from the last time Maverick had saw him, his eyes lacked sleep and his limbs easily breakable.

Malachi gave a faint smile to Maverick before moving over to Arabella. Ximera excused herself to the side as her hand still rested on Arabella's shoulder. "Is it really you?" Arabella asked between sobs.

"I'm surprised you remember me after so long." Malachi crouched next to Arabella, caressing her head. He couldn't hold back his own tears, he didn't care if he had to cry before these people. He was free and had his daughter before him.

"How could I forget you? You're my father." Arabella wrapped her arms around her father, sobbing into his chest. She had held many photographs of her parents dear so she couldn't forget. Phoenix couldn't help but feel both joy and sadness at the sight.

"What's the meaning of this?" Maverick spoke, drawing everyone's attention from the joyous reunion of a daughter and father back to the situation at hand. It was then everyone's eyes followed towards Rhett.

He sat in his seat relaxed as if he hadn't done anything wrong. His disdain towards everyone in the room was evident. Rhett felt like he had fell right into their traps; ambushed. Maverick waited impatiently on his answer, looking between both Rhett and Zelda. Peruel and Arilikook kept silent, wanting answers but didn't dare to utter a word.

"Answer him or I will." Zelda threatened.

"I have nothing to say," Rhett vowed that he wouldn't fall any deeper into this than he should. Keeping his mouth shut is his best option. Amir stood to the side unsure of to even believe at this point. "For all I know Malachi was dead."

"It just won't end won't it?" Cormac spoke for the first time. All attention was now directed at him. Cormac stood next to Phoenix, staring at Rhett with hatful eyes. "When will you stop with the lies? Haven't you lied to me and others enough at is it."

Phoenix catch on what Cormac was on to. Seeing that he had now realized who Zelda truly was. Phoenix held onto Cormac's hand, Cormac holding on tight due to his intense anger. Phoenix winced from pain but decided on holding out if it meant bearing a little of Cormac's pain. "Why didn't you tell me?" Cormac then looked towards his mother. "Why did you leave me?"

"I can't apologize enough for what I did," Queen Zelda said, getting up from her seat and walking towards Cormac. He flinched away from her outstretched arm, unsure how he could accept his own mother leaving him alone in a castle with a monster. "I couldn't stay any longer beside your father with the things he's done. I wanted to take you with me but I couldn't. Not until I could make things right."

Cormac held back his tears, his mind running with hundreds of questions. "I have yet to receive my answers!" Maverick slammed his fist against the table, frightening those around him. "Where was my brother all this time?" It was clear as day that he wasn't kept under the best of conditions by his physical features. "If the answers I get is not delightful in anyway I'll rain terror onto this Kingdom."

That was something no one wanted. Having to go to war with Laqum was a lost before it had even began. "There's no need to wager a war King Maverick," King Ezekiel spoke up. He was at least being hopeful. "Let's listen to what they have to say. I too would be angry if in your position, let's not be rash."