34. Deception and Lies

🖤

After the attack on Area fifteen.......

Cormac had more than enjoyed his stay at Peruel. Seeing the loving couple made him miss Phoenix even more. He was feeling oddly giddy on the inside. A slight discomfort, almost like a stain on a white cloth kept nagging at him. It would make him stare aimlessly out the carriage trying to figure it out.

Gifts from Peruel sat beside him. Things had turned out greater than he had expected. There would be no more war, Area fifteen will be demolished and he and Phoenix will be Wed. All was going well, yet, Cormac still felt the discomfort that haunted him.

He arrived in Seridina at noon, noticing the lack of guards on duty. Cormac would make a stop to the castle first, check in on things with Iker. He frowned as he neared the castle walls, noticing that their was no guards either. The place was deadly silence, over clouded with dread.

Cormac hopped out the carriage and looked into the town. The discomfort he felt was rising to a boil. He rushed thorough the castle doors. The servants turned to look at him hopefully, even they too had an odd feeling than usual. The first place he ran to was his chamber to see if Iker was there. There was no sight of his friend.

Cormac checked the servant quarters with no luck. He was huffing for breath as he ran into the dining hall, bursting the doors open to see his father sitting at the head of the table. "You disappear and come back making a ruckus," King Rhett said over his glass of wine. "Where's your etiquette crown Prince."

"Where's Iker?" Cormac asked as he approached his father. "What did you do to him?"

King Rhett scoffed, "How would I know where that lowly servant of yours is."

Cormac slammed his hand into the table, his anger rising to a boil. If his father had yet again raise a hand to Iker, he wouldn't care if the man before him was his father or not. "I don't know father," Cormac said sarcastically. "Maybe you have him locked up again and taking a whip to his body." He frowned at the man."You're cruel father."

King Rhett glared at his son as he placed his glass down. It didn't came as a surprise that Cormac had found out. He snickered as he slumped into his chair, "You take the side of a servant over your own father."

"I'm not sure if you deserve the title of a father or a king."

"I remember when you were two and your mother passed away," King Rhett began to reminisce. "You were such a cry baby. Now you're nothing but a disappointment. You disgust me then and even more now." Cormac admitted that it hurt for his father to say that. He should be long pass the stage where he felt hurt my his insults. The man doesn't have a shred of kindness or love in his bones. Not even for his own son.

"I'll ask you again father, where is Iker?" Cormac repeated, his face depicting how serious he was.

"Area fifteen or that servant of yours," King Rhett began. "I wonder which you will save. Or will you allow that partner of yours to die as well." In all honesty, the King knew not where the servant went. It was fun to taunt Cormac.

Cormac took up the glass of water that rested on the table, he was tired from all the running and his throat felt dry from the constant biker with his father. He finished the glass in one go, looking at the man he thought he knew. "What are you talking about?" He finally said. "What did you do to them?" The odd feeling was starting to make sense. He knew he had to go to, Area fifteen.

As Cormac made way for the door, he felt his knees went weak. The room spinning as he held his head. "What did-- what did you do?" He managed to say, trying to reach for the right wall amongst many before him.