16. Close for Comfort

🌈

He was nervous for some reason. Phoenix was nervous and he didn't know why. Was it because he felt conscious of learning the dance even though he had flat out told Ace there was no need to learn it. What happened to the brave hearted Phoenix? He was thrown away in a single moment.

They arrived at the book house, walking in silence as they didn't know what to say. Phoenix walked along the bookshelves, tracing his finger along the books.

His intention wasn't to come to the book house to read like he usually did. Even himself was surprised by his own action. He came to practice his dance and not lose himself in another book. Siobhan was right, Ace had an effect on him. For Phoenix to do something other than indulging in a books was a miracle. 

Ace would always come into his line of sight, looking at books then glancing Phoenix's way for a brief second. He was here now, so Phoenix didn't have to do it on his own. The problem was he didn't know how to go about it. He could walk up to the boy and tell him that he practiced and wanted to put his skills to the test. It was easier said than done, the brave Phoenix was not only nervous but suddenly shy.

He looked away when Ace placed back the book he had. Only then did Phoenix realized he was staring too long, the heat in his cheeks rising. He'll just find a book and forget about dancing. It wasn't going to do him any good. Just like how it was uprooting odd emotions withing him.

Phoenix didn't have time to be playing around. He needed to focus on one thing and one thing only and that was taking care of his family and others. Not about the boy who walked into his life and bought about change. He looked back in the direction where Ace was standing to see that he was gone. 

"Can I ask you something?" He heard Ace's voice behind him. He placed a hand over his chest to calm his beating heart. "Sorry, I didn't mean to frighten you." he apologized.

Phoenix turned to face him and realized how close he was standing. He peered up at the boy who was no more than an inch or two taller. "What is it that you wanted to ask?" Phoenix tried to rid his fright and calm himself.

"What are fifteens?" Ace asked, his expression turning serious.

Phoenix fumbled with his words. He was never asked that question before. He couldn't help but wonder why Ace would ask the question, he was here so he should know. Fifteen was just a name given to those who inhabited Area fifteen. Phoenix never thought about it.

They called them fifteens and that was it. It was a new name branded to those as soon as they where branded with the mark. Then there was those like Phoenix who didn't wear such a mark. He claimed the name fifteen regardless. Anyone could be called a fifteen, rather those who don't fit into the norms of the Kingdom of Seridina; The King.

Phoenix concluded his answer. Fifteen was just a name, but who are the people who claim such a name. It was simple. "A fifteen is a person."

The look on Ace face showed that it wasn't the answer he desired. He tapped his chin. "Why are these people inside the Iron Fortress?" He rephrased his question.

It was even odder to Phoenix. You wouldn't just be thrown in here without a reason. Only children that were unwanted were thrown inside the walls along with the rest of them. Was Ace trying to perhaps understand why the people were here when they did nothing wrong. Phoenix was trying not to be suspicious. Ace wasn't Axton. He was going to give him a chance like Siobhan suggested, though he wasn't keen on the idea of being friends just yet.

Phoenix sighed. He knew why they were all here. Yet, he still couldn't comprehend why they were actually here. What could be so bad about them that the King had to separate them from the rest of the Kingdom. They only did one thing and even that wasn't enough to raise anger in the King. He knew why these people where here but why was this place here in the first place. What was so bad that the King wanted them all to waste away and die.