10. Family

🌈

"Wow!" Poppy said in excitement as she watched the baby move around in Siobhan's belly.

Siobhan giggled, watching as Poppy was amazed by what was happening. Poppy poked a finger, wondering if she could actually touch the baby inside. Phoenix sat beside Siobhan, Gus resting on his lap as they enjoyed the morning. 

"Doesn't that hurt?" Rocco asked, scrunching his face in pain, seeing the baby move about.

Siobhan looked towards Rocco. "No, it doesn't."

Rocco shivered as he imagined how that would feel. He looked away, turning to chat back with Rebel. Phoenix enjoyed days like these when he could relax and forget about the things that troubled him. Siobhan, along with Poppy, Rebel, Rocco and Gus bought about a calming feeling to him.

"What happened to your leg Nix?" Gus asked, pointing to the wound on Phoenix's leg. Rocco and Rebel turned to look at him as Phoenix turned to look at Siobhan.

He knew he couldn't leave the question unanswered. Phoenix also knew he couldn't tell them about the things he did. Rocco and Rebel was old enough and that made Phoenix refused to tell them even more. They would think that they were old enough to help him out, to help him help Siobhan, Poppy, Gus and even Stella.

Phoenix wanted them to live as they are right now. Not having to take a share of his responsibilities. All he needed to know was that they woke up another day, smiling and creating memories with Phoenix and Siobhan. Not wanting to worry that they might not make it back if they went outside.

Phoenix smiled, lifting his leg showcasing his wound. "I had an accident at the book house. I'm strong so it doesn't hurt that much."

Gus poked his wound, a shot of pain running through his leg but he kept a smile on his face. Rocco tusked as he looked away, making Phoenix think something was bothering him. Siobhan looked at Phoenix, her eyes telling him that he can't keep lying to them. Siobhan knew how protective Phoenix was and she too wanted to protect the four. Siobhan needed for Phoenix to understand that one day they will find out about the things they lied about. 

"Whose ready to take a bath?" Phoenix said, wanting to rid the room of any uncomfortable thought.

Poppy jumped to her feet, her hand held high as she beamed at Phoenix, "Me!" she said. Poppy had always been the cheerful one. Phoenix thought it was just due to her age and how she looked at everything positively rather than in a negative way.

Phoenix grabbed the buckets they always used. Handing out to all four. Rocco grabbed the bucket from Phoenix with much force before going over back to Rebel. The two were always close. As the two oldest they stuck to each other. Phoenix frowned when he did that, wanting to have a talk with Rocco. 

"Can we stay by the river today?" Poppy asked, jumping on her feet with the bucket atop her head.

"I don't see why not." Siobhan said, looking towards Phoenix. "It's a good day out today."

When was it ever a good day in Area fifteen? They woke up to the same walls, the same scrap they had to make use of. Everyday was the same. As Phoenix looked at an excited Poppy, a Siobhan who thought it was a good day. He thought how they could forget what was in front of them and seem so happy. Phoenix was happy with them, but Area fifteen haunted him. Resting on his shoulders, whispering a constant reminder of where he was and what life had to offer. As someone who grew up inside Area fifteen all his life, Phoenix thought he would be able to rid the bad and live in the moment with the good.

Siobhan had learnt that, that she had to make use of the good days and not let the bad ones block her vision. Phoenix smiled, "Sure we can do that." For once he'll allow this happiness to fully take over. Lose himself and not while reading a book or being with Axton. Phoenix will look at the good Area fifteen had offered before him.