32. We Live to Die

🌈👑

Iker stood outside the King's chamber, his ears pressed up against the wooden frame. He had followed Commander Amir up to the King's chamber; unseen of course. That was his idea of keeping and eye on things. Commander Amir was always the one to deal with anything concerning the guards at Area fifteen.

Iker had never thought of it before: is the Commander just simply following orders or was his judgement the same of the King? He knew Commander Amir as a kind person and not one who would turn a blind eye to the things in front of him. Iker placed the thought to the side, focusing on hearing what the two were talking about.

"There's a riot near Area fifteen. They want the Iron Fortress gone, some even want to see their child again." Commander Amir have his report to the King. It was no surprise that Cormac had strike a bit of rebellion in the people's heart. They needed to see things for what they really are not what they think or what the King tells them. "Of course not everyone is joining in. Some have remained hateful." He said. Iker could imagine a look of satisfaction on King Rhett's face.

"Where is that son of mine? He starts his childish games and leave the Kingdom in chaos." King Rhett spoke, more than please with how things are going. Cormac has yet to return and night had already fallen. Iker could only hope that he was spending the night in Peruel or that they hadn't done anything bad to him because he was King Rhett's son.

"I know not where he is my Lord." Amir said.

"Is he in that damned place again?" King Rhett spoke with much disgust. "He's been going for a month and you have not seen him once. Not even the guards." It was clear he was getting angry.

It was all adding up to Amir why the Prince was missing his practices along with his other duties. He wasn't going to blame Iker for lying to him. They shared an unbreakable friendship. He was just trying to cover for the Prince.

"Just yesterday a guard reported seeing three persons escape through a hole in the wall." The Commander informed him. It was an easy slip away since the guards there were slacking off. It was his fault for not managing them better. "From the descriptions, it was the crown Prince fiance along with Princess Arabella and.....Iker."

Iker didn't think that they would get away so freely. Arabella had given him a hard blow, not enough to kill him or for him to keep his mouth shut. This was bound to happen. "Iker." King Rhett said, sending fearful shivers down Iker's spine. The man had it out for him already, even more now. "I'll deal with Area fifteen."

"What are you going to do?" Amir dared to ask.

"What I should've done years ago," he replied. Iker suddenly had a bad gut feeling that something bad was going to happen. "Tomorrow, I'll set those fifteen straight as a lesson to that foolish son of mine." He continued. "As for Cormac I'll handle him myself. He's not the son I hoped to have."

Iker placed a hand over his mouth, thinking that something was happening at a time like this when Cormac was gone. Silence followed then he heard footsteps nearing the door. He suddenly didn't know the castle as he didn't know where to go. He ran down the hall, slipping around the corner as he pressed his back up against it. Iker's heart was racing as he looked to see if Commander Amir had left. The man was closing the door, then he took a different path.

Iker slumped his shoulders, letting out a breath he didn't realize he was holding. He had to go and tell Phoenix. Cormac wasn't here to challenge his father yet again. He had to warn Phoenix about what was going to happen.

-

The next day.......

"Are you going to say yes?" Siobhan asked a daze Phoenix. He was sitting on a rock as he watched a crowd of people push forward to the Iron Fortress. The guards trying to keep them back. A few on the inside joined them, making it difficult for the guards on both sides. "I don't see why you should refuse." She joined him on the rock.