7. Ace in the Hole {2}

👑

Prince Cormac knew something was up with Iker. The tides of their relationship had changed. He remembered the first time he met Iker. Commander Amir had bought him to the castle. Prince Cormac was glad to have someone his age and made him his personal servant. Iker was quiet, doing whatever the Prince told him to do.

Cormac always considered Iker his friend. It was the first he flat out denied their friendship. Iker always put his duty as a servant over the valued friendship the Prince wanted them to share. The look in Iker's eyes were overshadowed by a storm. He began speaking only when necessary, doing his chores and attending to the prince.

The prince knew Iker's eyes to be kind, filled with loyalty and love. Prince Cormac wanted to show his concern for Iker. He knew that Iker would refuse him if he tried. It was like the first time they met, two strangers. Prince Cormac mood was soured, his day of teasing Iker before he tried going to Area fifteen was finished before it begun.

"Commander Amir said my sword skills are improving." The prince started up a conversation, gathering the petals of red roses in his palm. "Said that I'll surpass my father if I continue practicing."

Iker tensed at the mention of the King. His fingers trembling against the prince's hair, forgetting he was washing it, "T-That's great Prince Cormac." he fought back the images of the previous night. His wrist bruised from the cuffs that restrained him, his body littered with marks that would constantly remind him.  He was lucky to find some clothing that would covered his body, aching not only physically, but his heart also was.

"You don't sound too happy." the prince said, trying to hold back but he couldn't. He turned to face Iker who averted his gaze. "There's so many things wrong with you and I can't figure out what it is."

Iker noticed the Prince placing the petals at the side of the bath, bundling them together as he took out more from the bath. "There's no need to worry about me. Please stop saying unnecessary things." Iker got up, his own clothing slightly soaked. 

"I'm trying to help you Iker, why won't you allow that. You were fine last night, now you're as far away as the Kingdom of Arilikook."

Iker rested a hand over his bruised wrist. The Prince was threading into barren territories. His curiosity could hurt those around him and himself. Iker looked at the bundle of rose petals, reaching in the water and taking a single one for himself. He then separated the pile Cormac had set out into two. The Prince watched silently.

"This is the Kingdom of Seridina," Iker said, pointing to the pile that had the most petals. "This is the castle and the people inside," he pointed to the pile that had less than the first. "Then this is me." he held up the single petal then placed it next to the two.

"What will you do when you become King, Prince Cormac?" Iker proceeded to ask.

The Prince had never thought about it. He always thought that when he was King, things would remain tranquil as it was now. Learning who ruled Aperia and why that castle was standing, what was inside Area fifteen was all that occupied his mind. "I'm not sure." he answered honestly, feeling ashamed of himself.

"Hypothetically, say you wanted to help and protect everyone," Iker responded, gesturing over all the rose petals. A pain ran through his back as he quickly lowered his arm. "You said you wanted to help me," Iker picked up the single petal. "What about everyone else?"

The Prince knew he was talking about the people of Seridina and those inside the castle. "You treat me like I'm special. I'm no less than a servant than the others. Don't you think that's unfair? You give me more things than I can count. What about the others? Helping me means helping those within the castle along with the kingdom." he grouped all the petals together.