14. Change

🌈

There was no need to learn it. Phoenix had concluded that the first time he picked up the book. There was no need to learn how to move your feet in the right direction as someone leads you. There were no fancy balls in Area fifteen. The most Phoenix got of it was from the pictures he saw in the book.

They looked to be just like the people of Pixie Tower along with anyone of royalty. Elegantly dressed men and women in the finest and expensive garments. Phoenix imagined Ace in such a scene. Freshly groomed as he held his hand out for a dance. He fitted in so perfectly that Phoenix thought they wouldn't piece together if he considered being his friend.

Phoenix was like an unflourished patch of land while Ace was flourish and had the freshest and juiciest of fruits and vegetable. It was just the same with Axton, his elegant ways irritated Phoenix. Though he rarely showed it. Axton acted like any normal person would, making Phoenix forget that he was from Pixie Tower. There would always be something about Axton that bugged him, not being able to put a finger on it.

Ace was now a fifteen. His ways of growing up would surely show wherever he went. Why did Phoenix suddenly care? Why was he comparing himself to someone he's only met twice. He shouldn't care if he felt like a dirty, old rag to Ace. They were the same. They were fifteens. They now stood on the same ground. Soon enough, Ace will start to wash away, to rip and bore holes. He'll become a rag just like Phoenix. 

Taking his hand that day was a mistake on Phoenix end. He was a clumsy mess and his dirty feet stepped on Ace's more time than he could count. The dance was difficult, to stay in such a position while Ace does as he pleased. He didn't need to learn something that wouldn't help him in the least.

The boy was smiling like a fool as if he enjoyed being stepped on. Phoenix recalled Siobhan saying that they were alike. Phoenix wondered if that's how he always looked. A person blindsided by his own kindness. Ace was visibly enjoying himself even though Phoenix was any where near being good on his first try. He had no beginner's luck.

He was grumpy after the dance. He wasn't suppose to enjoy it the least. It gave him a rush of excitement when Ace twirled his body, and that finish was like a burst flames from a single spark. Was dancing supposed to be something fun? Was it meant to let them feel all jolly inside and miss the hold around their waist? It was the first time Phoenix had danced so he thought it was only natural.

It bought him out of his comfort zone and landed him in a mixture of wanting to do it again and there being no reason to learn it. Phoenix had bought the book home, reading through each page as he imagined himself doing the exact move. In his mind, he was the perfect dancer. A master of the art of dance. In reality, he was a conflicted beginner who couldn't separate his left steps from his right. To think people of high class could learn these things in an instant.

It was harder than Phoenix trying to figure out if Siobhan was just angry with him or just worried. He would curse Ace for bringing him into his world. The boy had ran off and Phoenix could only guess he was outside the Iron Fortress again. These walls could never hold him much like they couldn't hold Phoenix.

Phoenix tusked as he swung himself too far and almost collided with the brick wall trying to capture the move he saw. The night was in full swoon, the air cold and biting his skin. He was just to the side of the house Siobhan and him shared. The book rested on the wall as the wind would change the page often enough to irritate him.

"What are you doing?" Siobhan asked as she tried not to laugh at the sight before her.

Phoenix brushed back his hair that was a mess due to the wind. "I'm doing something very stupid." he said, taking up the book and closing it. "I'll be inside when I've calmed down."