2.9

Bustling teens and wild sex driven stories that control the better half of most prom stories were only the start of what is in store for tonight's massive school dance. Finn had kept his rightful distance all week, and as far as I know has moved on to some junior who doesn't know the pain and suffering he can cause. But that's her problem now as I walk directly through the confetti strands decorating the entry to what can only be considered the last night of high school. Prom night is one of those nights that reeks of pure desperation and of course the spike punch that everyone raves about. We're no different here and although that sometimes becomes the unbearable cliches that liven up our entire experience, change can sometimes be good.

Orie, Ken and I weave our way through eagerly grinding teenagers that have enough hormonal rage for the both of us. We reach the center of the "dance floor" or in our case the middle of the gymnasium. Not that I had issues with it considering it was cheap, and the decorations really brought the theme to life.. whatever that theme is.

"Great turn out!" Orie calls over the loud and overplayed music that roared throughout the massive gym.

We weren't ones for small talk, that's for sure, but we were all dateless and seeing as anytime now there would be a soft song played, we'd have to leave the floor like the pathetic losers we were truly becoming. We have less than a week remaining until graduation and reality finally sits in. That alone was enough to cause a heart attack.

We find a rhythmic moving of our bodies, keeping it PG of course. Experimenting is for college and I plan on waiting until then. Speaking of, I'd gotten accepted to at least my top three schools. One was simply thirty miles away which doesn't seem far at all because it really isn't but leaving home despite the lack of a real home had seemed absurd. Not to mention the fact that it was one of the higher levels nearby and where Ken had applied. After a late night conversation with Orie that struck Monday night, I learned she was simply keeping schooling to the internet. I didn't ask why considering we had breeched rather touchy subjects already but they were answered in honesty and truthfulness and that alone made us closer. I know, I gush about the fact that I'm surrounded by these two amazing girls who technically I don't deserve, but with my track record friends were quite rare but that's another story for another time.

It didn't take long for the first of many slow songs to overcome the stereo and shift the entire mood of the dance. We found our way to the bleachers where, not to be rude, but where the true losers and dateless slumps day and watched our peers and their dates whisper disgusting words to one another.

"Well, this kinda blows," I sigh, my voice finally audible seeing as bass guitars aren't strumming over the sound system.

Orie and Ken nod simultaneously which only brings a slight smirk to my lips. All I cared about was seeing who won the prom court. It was a no brainer to be quite honest. It was no shock that Georgie and Josh had it in the bag. But it made you wonder how much of their relationship has been real. I shouldn't care, and I don't, but for him to be fine either sleeping with Finn just seems so out of character. Then again, I never really knew him.

As the song comes to a delicate end, the tapping of the mic brings everyone's attention to the stage. After this, I was leaving for sure. Prom should be fun, but I'm bored and tired. Not to mention starving.

"Welcome to North High's Junior Senior Prom!" My eyes dart off the principal like a magnet drawn to a fridge. Standing by the punch just across from my view, as if perfectly aligned, was a leaning Finn. His eyes were locked on mine, not budging as he pulled his metal flask close to his lips. He was hidden enough in the shadows to not be busted, but that didn't stop him from publicly downing his for sure alcoholic beverage.

Something came over me. Something that was eating away at me from the inside was ready to finally approach the man who in the end took my heart. "I'll be back," I whisper to the girls before pushing off the bleachers.