•2.6•

"Hey, Ash," I say, entering the living room as Ash lounges on the couch with SpongeBob playing on the TV.

After our last conversation about Finn, I had felt a slight strain on our sibling relationship. I knew I was harsher than anticipated, or even necessary, but I was trying to make my amends as I sit down beside him.

I wasn't interested in the yellow sponge in that particular moment, because I was more focused on Ash who was barely meeting my eye let alone talking to me.

"So, how are your friends?" I ask, trying to break the silence between us that was becoming too much like the silence put on my parents during their heat of the moment trip to Ireland.

He shrugs his shoulders. "They're fine. How are your's?" He asks, the small talk deafening.

I shrug similarly, trying not to address the elephant in the room. "Same. So, do you want to ask your friends for ice cream? My treat," I try to bribe, yes bribe the child to spend quality time with me.

"Yeah? With what money, Mena? You don't have a job." Ash snarls, taking me quite a few steps back. Figuratively speaking considering I'm lounging.

But he was right. I was living off the allowance my parents still distributed to my bank account. I wasn't really making my way, I'm ashamed to say that, but when someone points it out? Bitterly harsh if I do say so myself.

After thinking through all other small talk conversations and deciding that talking about the weather wouldn't be ideal, I dismiss myself from the living room. I didn't know how harsh my words were in the moment. It was agitating to see that Ash, this caring boy, was so jealous of my time with Finn. Him and Finn definitely have a remarkable bond that I don't think could ever corrupt, but to have him openly be bitter was so out of character.

I probably deserved it to be completely honest. But it still sucked ass to know that my only brother and I weren't on the same page anymore.

"Heading out today?" My father asks as I pass his study while wandering around the downstairs. I'd always been cooped up in my room to really venture down this hall unless it was for the half bathroom and I didn't want to go upstairs.

I shrug, walking into the medium sized room covered in books that were worth more than my hand. "I don't know yet. I offered to take Ash out but he's been a little off since Finn came for dinner," I sigh, venting to the man who truly brought me joy despite all of our falling outs. He was my father after all. (Wrong timing but-can't relate 😂)

"He seemed excited to see the boy. And I have to say, Philly, he's way better than that East Side guy. This one has stability. Definitely a quality everyone should look for," he points his probably expensive pen at me, making me roll my eyes.

"Gee dad, why don't you date him?" I sarcastically reply as I fall back into the comfortable chair positioned in front of his desk. As if my family wasn't already the perfectly dysfunctional family you'd see in movies, our house was exactly like that too. Except I'm pretty sure someone was murdered in the basement but don't quote me on that.

"I would, but you see, I'm not really into that whole sugar daddy thing? Don't get me wrong, if it floats your boat, but I'm not paying someone my hard earned money just to...well. But this Finn kid, I like him. Josh was a pussy, Teddy was evidently a futureless felon, and Finn seems like a good kid."

I nod my head, except I'm it totally agreeing with the felon part. Although it is uncommon for any East Sider to have the whole unflawed record but I at least have hope for humanity even if it's a slim hope, it's there.

"You should bring him around for dinner again. Fantastic conversation," he says as he fixes his reading glasses that sit on his crooked nose all too perfectly to be honest.