•1.5•

"Mena!" He calls, following me down the dark sidewalks of the North Side. It was starting to rain, lightning was even shrieking across the sky. Does the higher power really have something against me? Fuck.

I don't listen but keep walking through the down pour. I couldn't do this. Not again. Not the heartache, the pressure, a couple more feet and you'll be home, I tell myself in hopes that it helps me.

"Just fucking listen to me!" He tells just as loud the thunder. I stop in my tracks.

"Why? Why should I listen to you? I've been trying, Finn. Trying to forget you exist, trying to be okay but then you pull this shit? I don't want to know whatever the hell it is you are so invested in telling me?"

He stops where he is, his face falling only to return to his nonchalant self that made it so hard to get through to him.

"I never cheated. Never."

I can't help but audibly laugh. I wasn't going to fall for his tricks. Not this time, not ever.

I rub my hands along my face in defeated irritation. I've been battling myself and him for so long I just want this feeling to be gone. "Finn, stop. I was there, remember? Georgie told everyone. It's not worth it anymore. Just fucking leave me alone."

I got to turn but he grabs my forearm, turning me to him. His face was rain struck with harsh red lines marking his flesh from the hard drops. I probably looked worse as all my makeup falls down my face.

"Exactly, Mena. Georgie. It's hard for me to explain, but just know that I never cheated on you."

I jerk out of his grasp, or try to that is but he quickly tightens his hold on me. "How the hell do you expect me to believe that?" I hiss violently.

He pulls me to him, and for a moment I felt paralyzed. It was like my feet were glued to the wet pavement. But I couldn't look away from his hazel eyes. They were..different. It almost made me believe him.

His hand raises to my cheek as he wipes away the rain or tears because differentiating the two wasn't exactly my main priority. "My parents," He sighs, resting his forehead in mine, "They're obsessed with money, obsessed with titles. You weren't in their plans, fuck, you weren't even in mine. But Georgie has more money than she does clothes. It's respectable to them. But I was trapped. I either agreed to them, or I lost my trust fund."

I can't help but stare, I can't help but believe him. Every ounce of me didn't want to. Finn was a cancerous, pathological liar that got off on almost everything. But I believe him.

"How much, Finn?" I whisper so silently over the rain and thunder that I wasn't sure he heard me. I repeat myself louder, "How much?"

He sighs, pressing his body closer to mine. "That's not important, Mena. No money is worth lying, worth losing you."

I shake my head against him, still completely paralyzed. "How much, Finn? Please."

He nods his head, his thumb tracing along my bottom lip. "Twenty three million."

My mind caught up to my body, and I push myself off of him. That was a lot of money. More than my parents had, more than my life was worth. I would have done the same for that amount of money, and I like to think I'm an okay person.

"I'm sorry, Finn. I can't do this. I can't do us. I'm happy. I'm sorry."

•———•

I was tempted to chase her. Tempted to punch Blondie's fucking teeth in. But I made this mess and whether or not I take responsibility is for me to deal with. But right now, I just want to drink, get high, fucking do anything.

By the time I was back to my apartment, it was already too late. I was a wreck o say the least, completely sober and disgusted with myself. Those things don't go well together, let me tell you.

As the door latches behind me, I hear rustling from my living room. It was without a doubt Jason and Naomi. Good for them. They decided to come back for a solid day. Look like they give two shits about this town.

"Sweetie, where were you? We were worried sick," Naomi says, rushing to my aid.

I jerk away from her. I'm not doing this shit. Not now, not ever. They've fucked me over one two many times. "Fuck you," I hiss, turning to walk up the stairs.

"Hey! Boy! Don't you talk to your mother like that!" Jason growls, standing from the lounge chair to lighten the mood.

"Mother? Really, Jason? Because neither of you have been the best fucking parents in the world. You jetted off when I needed you. Did you know the hell I went through? No. Because neither of you wanted me, and now Mena-"

Before I can talk, Naomi jerks in, "That little North Side girl? Finny, you can do so much better."

I grunt, stepping down a step. "You don't know me, and you don't know her. Not that that ever mattered to either of you. All you care about is reputation, money, you ruined my life. Do you understand that? You've fucked me over yet again and I let you. I'm sick of your games, your alienation, why don't the two of you just rot in Hell. See if I ever fucking care."

Next thing I know, a fist is being pounded into my cheek. Maybe I deserved it, but I've had it with everyone telling me what to do.

"You keep that fucking attitude and you'll never see that trust fund." Jason threatens, rubbing his fist on his hand for any sort of relief.

"I don't want your money. I wanted parents. I wanted to be loved like a son, but I'm a title. Screw the shitty foster homes. You two have brought me the worst fucking years of my life."

Jason stands as tall as he possibly could, hardly even meeting me. "You have half an hour to get your shit and get out. Say goodbye to your college funds boy."

I laugh, the taste of blood finally bringing a realization to myself. "Good thing I have a paid ride, huh? Don't worry, I'm out of your hair in five. Have a fucking nice life."

I gathered the important shit, stuff I'd never survive without, and then I turned and left. I lost everything tonight. The money, the parents, but on top of it all, I lost the girl.

•———•