3.0

Graduations were always ludicrous in my opinion. It was a day for students to walk up and accept a fake diploma for their forced governmental imprisonment that ultimately taught us nothing to prepare us for the real world.

I sit in my white getup and patiently await for the time to walk down the aisle as though we're getting married. Not that this white gown thing isn't already ridiculously committal.

"Mena, calm down," Ken whispers as she watches me fiddle with the hem of my gown. I scoldingly look at her, only for her to smile with the most parental admiration I had received in my entire life.

Cal opted for staying until my graduation party. I didn't want one, but it seemed as though it was a must when your parents want to flaunt you without their presence. I never understood the whole deal. I could pass with the worst grades and I'd still get to celebrate for my effortless time in high school.

I spot Orie out of the crowd as she weasels her way through hormonal teens who thankfully showered for the occasion. How polite.

"We look fucking hot in these," she says once she approaches. I throw my head back in laughter, trying to assess the situation at hand as the principal lines us up in an alphabetical order. Or, tries to.

"We look like we just escaped a prison and are on parol," I roll my eyes playfully, allowing them to scan the crowd. I didn't know what to expect. Finn seemed like the type of guy who would miss his graduation and only attend the raging parties tonight. Not that I blame him.

After everything at the lake house, eyes were steered directly at Finn. They blamed him, solely him and in the process boosted his ego. He was at his prime now, or so the word says. I guess he's been sleeping with every living thing that crosses his path. Not that I should be concerned seeing as he left me and not the other way around.

"Philomena, Philomena Grace?" The name is called rather curiously which brings my gaze up to the older woman holding our roster.

I sigh, pulling the girls into a tight hug. "I guess I'll see you out there," I groan, pulling away to look at the two.

I hate to sound like an old woman already, but I'll truly miss this place. The memories, the crazy stories, the detentions, even some of these people whom I barely knew, I wouldn't see anymore. It was like everything I had ever known was being flushed down the toilet and easily forgotten.

I take my place in line and listen attentively, or lacking of attentiveness as I fiddle anxiously with the hem of this gown. I don't know why I'm suddenly so scared. My entire educational career led to this point and although things maybe have been iffy, here I am about to accept my diploma and move on to the better things life may have to offer.

We begin our small trek to the auditorium where seats are wildly filled by proud parents, grandparents, family, friends, sexual partners who exceed the legal age. It was a great turn out and although I'd love to sulk on the fact that my parents had the audacity to skip my senior graduation, it was my turn to walk self consciously down the aisle and to the stage where everyone could stare at me while I anxiously await what is in store for my future.

As we stand for the playing of the national anthem, my eyes dart to Callan who proudly stood with her eyes fixated on me. After speaking with her about Finn, I felt like some weight had been lifted off my shoulders. I expected a lecture, or some sort of hatred that I stole someone she had her eyes on, but instead I got a late night talk about our struggles, the fact that our parents neglected me, it was a whole life lived up to this moment that finally unwinded onto my loving sister who until now, I hardly appreciated. She was there for me, just like Orie and Ken had been, but she was more. Cal practically raised me from the day our parents left to become successful traveling business civilians to this moment right now. We had our ups and downs, our bruises and our fights, but in the end, she was my sister and I owed her the world.

The same repetitive speech vibrates off the auditorium walls about our successes, our high school experiences dwindling down to this very shocking moment. I listened carefully as names were called for our scholarships if existing, and our further plans.

"Philomena Grace, daughter of Bennett and Janine Grace plans to attend Cedar Lake University with high honors and the Adam Vincent scholarship. She plans to peruse a degree in Economic Business."

I stand from my chair, my legs nearly flaking in me in the process. One would think the amount of time my legs have gone weak would make it much easier to handle, but instead J take small strides towards the principal. She shakes my hand with a sort of sympathy to her clasp which was becoming all and all annoying considering I was done with the fact that these high school relationships won't define the young woman I've decided to become.

I found myself only tuning in and out when I did desired. Of course I payed attention to Orie and Ken's, but the last person I felt this strong draw of attention to, was non other than Finn Quinton. I hadn't expected his appearance to be quite honest. I figured he'd be home getting intoxicated by any substance he could get his hands on. That alone was pure disgusting to me, but I was also making crude and underdeveloped theories.

"Finnly Quinton, son of Jason and Naomi Quinton plans to attend Great Oak University with the Hender's Scholarship, Literary Investment Scholarship, and the John Adams Scholarship. Finnly wishes to peruse a degree in literature and athletic studies."

I should feel, proud? I guess? But those were things I never knew about him. I knew he had extensive knowledge on novels such as, The Outsider's but I never pegged him as a literary guy. He hardly ever read from what I can recollect from our living arrangements but then again, living with Finn meant endless sex. And that was more than distracting.

The last few students are called before the announcement of our final graduation. We simultaneously flip the tassel as the loud and all too familiar voice of the principal who in my time here I still didn't know the name of calls over the microphone, "It is my honor to announce the class of 2018. Congratulations, May you go far in life. Thank you."

We all smile vibrantly like it was a disease. We were graduates, done with the never ending nightmare that felt like it would continue for another century.

We all walk down the aisle once more, stopping as we reach the exit doors. We flood our way out for our final goodbyes and that was something I looked forward to.

Orie and Ken are the first to approach me, pulling me into a tight hug with tears streaming down their faces. My lack there of could be questionable, but this was a new start. I could move on from this heartbreak, from the failure high school brought me.

"We did it!" Orie calls, parting from both Ken and I. I nod in agreement, my eyes wandering over to Finn like magnets attracted to one another. He was deep in conversation with an older man, maybe his father, when his eyes carefully rose to mine like his sight would break me.

I continuously remind myself that I'm not the fragile girl I made out to be. That I was stronger than that.

A small smirk creased the corners of his lips although it was obvious it didn't reach his eyes. He nods his congratulations all too smugly before turning his attention back to the man.

It still hurt like pouring salt on a fresh wound but this whole year has become a memory and no longer a future. Aside from the endless heart break, the fights with friends, and the falling for a guy who wasn't emotionally available, I'd say my year was pretty okay. And I guess, I just owe that to the Climax King himself.

•———•

And that my friends, concludes part one. Part two will be in the same book so it's not like I'm writing a whole new thing. It should be out Saturday?? I want to take a break but obviously not a long one since that would completely break me considering I can go an hour without typing at least a word.

I want to thank you all for your endless support and a few messages I've received along the way of writing this book. I know this is cheesy, but I really want to know what you think and if you have any recommendations or things you want to see with the next part. Thank you for making this so much fun, and I'll see you in two days :)

Go check out my other works:

•Summer Sex
•2,213.3 Miles Away
&
•Poor Living Conditions