•1.8•

I walk through the mall with Orie and Ken as we critique the old folks of high school that we haven't seen in about a month. The festival was almost over, but due to chance of me bumping into Finn, we opted out for the very repetitive activities that were the same each year.

"Okay, but Nancy though," Orie laughs lightly as she scrolls through the once nerdy looking girl's Instagram.

"Woah. Did she get boob implants or something?" Ken chimes in, swiping the phone from Orie.

I had no interest in listening or even looking at people who were probably living their lives to the fullest. It's selfish and degrading but the thing is, I've let myself fall for someone I can't. Someone who I would cross bridges for, jump through fires for, and yet things just never work in our favor.

"Well, well, well. If it isn't the three most beautiful girls of North Side."

I can't help but crack a smile as Zach and Teddy stop in front of us. "What a smooth talker, Zach," I greet the boy before leaning up and kissing Teddy on the cheek. I wasn't going to make out with him in front of my best friends. Although I don't think I'd do it anywhere anytime soon.

"You're not even going to introduce me, Mena? I'm offended," He clasps his hand over his chest.

I roll my eyes. "Zach, Teddy, this is Kennedy and Orlena. Orie, Ken, Teddy and Zach." I introduce the group to each other, but intentionally keep my gaze off of Teddy.

It felt off. I never felt this way when Finn and I were sneaking around with Josh. Maybe because love was out of the question, but I'm doubting my own emotions. I'm doubting everything actually. The effect of a raging hormonal boy is not helping my self esteem in the slightest.

"Well, we're headed to Rosalind's if you lovely ladies would like to join?" Zach smoothly says, clearly making Orie and Ken swoon at his feet.

The girls nod their heads, and I can't help but scrunch my nose. "Actually, I think I'll skip out. I have to watch my brother's uh baseball game? Yeah, he's the um shortback?"

Zach laughs, "Mena, that's not a position but no worries. Hey, we'll catch up though. Can't miss out on you," he winks before turning to Teddy, "You coming?"

Teddy looks between his friend to me which I catch through the corner of my eye. "Uh, yeah. I'll catch up," he says before shuffling his hands into his pockets.

Zach salutes him before leading the girls off.

I smile up at Teddy, taking in his flawless features. Why am I so lucky and yet so unfortunate at the same time? Anyone would kill to be with Teddy. Yet I can't bring myself to it.

"Phil, what's going on? Is everything okay with your parents? Ashling?"

I quickly nod my head, "Absolutely. I'm just stressed with college stuff. There is the decorating my dorm situation, the major shifting I'll probably do, not to mention looking for a job near campus."

His eyes squint gently. "Major change? I thought you wanted to get a business degree?"

I shrug my shoulders and cross my arms around my body. "I do. But I'm just wondering if business is worth it, you know? We already have so many business men and women I'm thinking more I don't know, nursing could be cool."

He chuckles, resting a hand on my shoulder. "No offense, babe, but you almost threw up when we watched that thriller film where the guy chopped off the guy's head. Pretty epic scene if you ask me."

I laugh lightly before shifting back into my serious self. "It was executed well but I don't think Business is really for me. Negotiating deals, making product. Business just seems like the risky option."