•3.3•

"Sounds like it'll be fun. When do you two leave?"

I stare dumbfounded at my mother across the dinner table. They were laid back, I can tell you that much. But not enough to the point where they allow their daughter to fly out of the states with her boyfriend for a little over two weeks.

"I'm sorry," I choke lightly on the rather large piece of chicken I shoved in my mouth, "Are you actually saying I can go?" I gasp dramatically, making my father shrug.

"Sure, Philly. I see no problem here. You've always wanted to travel so why not do it with someone you're close with?"

I gasp again at my mother's words before looking over to Ash who was just as surprised. "You're hearing this too, right? I'm not going insane?" I ask the small boy.

He shrugs his shoulders lightly, "You can't go insane when you already are, Mena."

I was tempted to shove him from his chair but that would probably be frowned upon seeing as he's much small than me. Would that be child abuse considering I'm 18? Shit, I don't know the laws.

"So let me get this straight," I begin, "You, oh so loving parents, are allowing your youngest daughter to board a plane with her boyfriend and her off out of the country? Where the hell did your parenting skills go? This is insane! You're all going mad!"

My mother rolls her eyes as she bites into a large piece of broccoli. "Do you want to go or not?" My father interjects stopping what he was doing which had been eating. Even I had hardly touched my food since this conversation began.

"Of course I do. Travel overseas, meet all these people, eat food that I've never had. Sounds like a fantastic experience, but you're letting your daughter sit on the same plane as her boyfriend, sleep in the same room as her boyfriend, and eat in front of her boyfriend! How is any of that right?"

My mother sighs, "You're at his apartment half the time anyways, so I don't see what the big deal is. If you want to go, then you go. You've been cooped up in Bay View since you were born. No one is going to stop you from doing what you want to do. Technically we can't considering you're 18 now. Unless there is a reason for us to say no, then you have every right to go anywhere you want."

I stab my fork into my now cold broccoli, "You aren't the least bit concerned about this? What if Finn is kidnapping me, then what?"

Ash snorts beside me, "No offense, Mena, but if anyone wanted to kidnap you, they'd bring you back."

My parents erupt into laughter and I jab my finger to Ash's arm. "Sometimes, Ash, you annoy me," I joke, making him laugh as well.

"I'll tell you what," my father says once the laughter had dimmed to silence, "Before you two leave, Finn can come over for dinner to discuss all the plans. Does that work?"

I think about it before nodding. "I guess. But don't scare him away. I kind of love the guy."

My mom smiles brightly, "Awe! She's in love, Benny! I love that she's in love!" She squeals like a small child.

"Ship up!" I laugh bashfully, chucking my clothes napkin at her face.

"Mena and Finn sitting in a tree! K-I-S-S-I-N-G! First comes love, second comes marriage, third comes the baby in the baby carriage because I want to be a grandma before I hit the bucket!"

My head tilts lightly, "I don't think that's how the song goes, Mom."

She shrugs, the table filling with joyous laughter.

•———•

I hear a loud knock on the door, making my head tilt to look at Finn.