Chapter 3.

If you love someone, you end up believing everything they say. But why? Because you choose to trust them. You choose to let them tell the lies hoping you will believe them. But what happens when you no longer believe it anymore? You can only go so long before you no longer trust them anymore.

For Nikki. She was devastated. How can the people who she trusted most in her life keep such a big thing from her. She sat across from her parents in silence staring blankly at the floor. Her parents both had tears in their eyes.

"We wanted to tell you....but we couldn't" Her father said. They both looked at Nikki since they told her. They felt horrible because she wouldn't speak to them.

"we didn't want you to feel left out of this family. You are just as much of this family as anyone else here." Her mother said. "Please say something."

She finally looked up at them, they could see the pain in her eyes. She was broken. Yes she has never been the same as her family, she does look different but she always believed she looked like her grandmother. Now she doesn't know who she can trust anymore.

"why didn't you tell me?" she asked, from the sound of her voice you could tell she was breaking.

"we were trying to protect you." Her father chocked out.

"This whole time you were lying. I wanted to believe you guys doing all the doubt but i was wrong to!" She said her voice raising and her eyes puffy and red.

"we wanted you to feel loved."

"How i can feel love when the people i loved and trusted seem to have been lying to me my entire life!" She yelled at them. She stood in frustration. She was more broken then sad, they knew because her yells were shortly faded out after the tears came along. Jasmine felt her heart clench as she saw the tears fall from her face. She wanted to hug her, because despite everything Nikki was still her daughter.

Taking the chance Jasmine stood up and walked toward Nikki. She tried reaching out for her but was stopped when Nicole took a step back as if scared of her touch. It hurt her so much.
"Don't." Was all Nicole said before running off to her room. Jasmine watched her heart felt like it was breaking. Her husband embraced her as she cried into his shirt.

:
:
:
:
:
:

Scarlett was enjoying, or at least trying to enjoy a lunch with her sister, who came down for a few days but something seemed to be bothering her. She felt her heart clench but she wasn't completely sure why that was happening.

"Earth to Scarlett! Next time i come down i will just go and visit hunter." Vanessa said finally getting Scarlett's attention.

"Sorry i have been a bit off lately." She admitted and her sister turned her head slightly giving her a look that meant she didn't believe her.

"Are you okay Scarlett?"

"i am fine." She said taking a sip of her drink. Her sister still gave her that look. "really Vanessa i am okay."

"Scarlett, i have lived with you for a long time, i have the ability to know when you are lying to me so why don't you tell me what is wrong, and who i need to kill."

"Vanessa i appreciate it really, But i don't even fully understand what is wrong with me. Not now at least. but i promise if i need help i will come to you. okay?" Scarlett said, reluctantly she agreed and took a piece from her salad. "Hey Vanessa. Um i can i ask you something?"

"Sure what is up?" She asked looking at her little sister.

"what is it like to have children?" Vanessa was shocked by this question. In fact she was expecting it at all. She took a few moments, not to think of a answer but because she was trying to think of why Scarlett wanted to know about having children.

"Well, Having kids is a true gift. i love my kids more and more everyday. I love them more then my husband. You never really know how much mom and dad loved us until you have kids. They are a gift from heaven. But why do you care?" She asked and the gasped loud enough for tables around them to look. "Oh my god! Are do you want kids! Wait are you seeing someone i should know about?"

"Hey calm down, people are staring. and you know what the paparazzi would do if they heard you talking about all of this. And no i am not seeing any one Nessa. i just wanna know encase i ever do decide to have a kid." Scarlett spoke but the lump in her throat was making her eyes burn. She tried her best to keep her tears in, and she succeeded.

"Fine, i am sorry. But why are you asking me now?" She asked giving her sister a very questioning look.

"i don't know. I think i have been thinking a lot lately. Don't worry about it." Scarlett said. Her sister talked so heart warmingly about her children, it make Scarlett's heart ache. How she longed to have the same experience as her sister. To kiss her baby to sleep every night. To asked her girl how school was. Embarrass her on her first date. Teach her about makeup. Help her with any problems. and just be there to share life's joy.

"I actually have to get going." Vanessa said. "i have to go unpack. before our reservations tonight. with the cast right?"

"Yeah of course. i will remind them. See you soon." Scarlett smiled as her sister got up and left the restaurant. She looked to her side as she waited for the waiter and noticed a family.

A cute small family, with a teenage girl and her parents. They were in a deep conversation, judging by the serious faces. The teen looked at her parents not once glancing at her phone. The conversation seemed heavy but the seriousness was all faded away by the laughter that followed. Scarlett smiled to herself. Love is what makes a family. Trust, loyalty, Respect. None of which she had. She didn't even have a family of her own.

:
:
:
:
:

Nicole sat in her room staring at her bed and hugging her pillow close to her body. Tears stained her cheeks and her breathing had finally slowed down and she was finally processing everything that had been happening.

A knock on her door startled her, but Nicole didn't move. She couldn't find the strength to move. The door opened up and her sister walked into the room.
"Nikki?" she said. Nicole didn't answer her because of all of the anger and betrayal running though her. "Mom and dad told me to give -"

"They aren't my parents." She said. Emma frowned at her sisters words.

"You know, i know that you are upset. of course i am not sure what you are feeling but don't take it out on them. They have loved you since the day they adopted you. They have given you a home, they have supported you and they brought you into this family. They don't need you yelling at them."

"Who are you to tell me i shouldn't be angry. You don't know what it is like to have everything you know have been a lie!" she said angry.

"What are you talking about? Nothing they ever did has been a lie Nikki. They love you that was not a lie."

"If any of you loved me in this house then you wouldn't have kept this from me. So don't tell me you loved me. Now leave." She said. Emma tried telling herself that she was just stressed, but she had never seen Nicole so distraught. Sighing she left her sister.

Nicole looked at the wall once again. Everything hurt her. How can people who claimed they loved her for years just lie to you since the day they came into contact with them. It was sick. She was almost thirteen years old. No one should be kept such a secrete for so long.

All this adoption stuff got her wondering. If they weren't her parents....then who was her parents?