Chapter 30.

"So um how was everyone's day?" 

In an attempt to let this awkward moment pass from the dinner table, Brett tried to start up a conversation. This dinner was not going exactly how the parents planned for it to go. 

"Well," Started Eric when no one answered. "School is an endless and boring fast track to nothing. I am so ready to be done with high school." 

"You are only a Sophmore, Eric," Emma pointed out. "Just wait until you become a senior, your life will be a mess." 

"I doubt that," Eric said he looked over at Chris and Scarlett, who he was dying to have a conversation with. "You both have to agree with me, school sucked." 

"I mean I wouldn't say that." Chris started, 

"Chris you didn't even go to college, you went to some film school," Scarlett stated she was giving him a look of amusement. "Wasn't it a theater institute." There was laughter among the table, but Chris seemed to only hear Scarlett's it was so memorizing to him. 

" Well, I mean school is school," Chris said. "Point is school wasn't the worst part of my life." Chris personally enjoyed his time in new york for college. 

"Okay but what about actual high school?" Emma asked. "Sure theater was fun because you enjoyed it, however, high is a whole other thing." 

"Well," Scarlett started. "I mostly did homeschool because of my travels. However, when I was home school was amazing." 

"She was also a nerd," Chris said laughed, probably the most Scarlett has heard in a long time. He sounded like a teenager again. Even Brett and Jasmine were enjoying dinner at this point. Everyone but Nicole and Scarlett seemed to notice how she was distant, she wanted to bring her into the conversation, show her that she wanted to hear her opinion too.

"What about you Nicole? Are you enjoying your eighth-grade year?" Scarlett asked Nicole. She was too busy staring at her food to even notice the question that was being asked to her. After a moment everyone realized that they wouldn't be getting a reaction out of her tonight, no matter how hard they would try. 

And then the house got quiet once again. Nicole was focusing her attention on to the food in front of her. Her day was already classified under the worst day of her life category. This awkward dinner... wasn't helping. But there was a question running through her mind, and when Eric and Emma excused themselves once they finished their food she spoke up. 

"What exactly are you guys doing here?" She was genuinely curious because she received the message loud and clear last time, they obviously didn't want to be around her, and now here they were messing with her heart yet again. Maybe it one of her mistakes, she shouldn't have gone to look for them. 

"We came to see you," Scarlett answered hesitantly. She didn't know how Nicole would take all of this, so she wanted to start things off slow. 

"Why would you do that?" She asked, not trying to be rude but she just wanted to understand, however, her parents didn't see it that way. 

"Nicole is nice, they flew all the way down here to see you, the least you can do is thank them." Her mother stated shocking Nicole to the core.

"You want me to thank them?" She said in a loud annoyed tone. Nicole's day was not going great at all from failing tests, being avoided, and the bullying all she wanted to do was go to bed, but they decided to show up. So now she is once again going to get her heart hurt. 
"What exactly am I thanking them for? Should it be for the fact that they came all the way down here to visit their child who they abandoned? If so, thank you so so so much for coming down here to see how I am doing with my family who is doing the job you should have been doing."