Chapter 33.

You can't let other people choose who you want to be. 

Nicole kept that in mind as she arrived at school the next day. She knew people laughed at her as she walked the halls because of the party incident, but Chris's advice really helped. She didn't even know more than half of the people who laughed at her, what did their opinions matter to her? 

Despite trying her best to believe that, the pain of people laughing at her still hurt her.  She would try her best to ignore it, but she really couldn't do it alone anymore. 

Before the first period started, Nicole found herself walking a very familiar root. Ava's first class was closer to the front of the school and Nicole would always walk with her to class before heading off for her own. But today, she hoped to get rid of this feeling of loneliness. 

"Hey Ava," Nicole spoke when she saw her friend standing by the door to her classroom, there was quite some time before class started so Nicole knew they would have time to talk.

Ava looked up from her phone at Nicole with a frown plastered on her face. Nicole wasn't surprised by her reaction. 
"I don't want to talk to you Nicole," She said before turning her attention back to her phone. 

"Then don't. Just listen." Nicole took a deep breath, she didn't even know if Ava was listening or not but she choose to keep talking. "I wanted to say I am sorry for what I did because I know what I did to you was just horrible and there is no excuse for it. I tried pressuring you and that's not okay, you deserve an apology. 

Ava didn't look up to make any indication that she was listening, but somehow Nicole just knew she was. So she had to continue on with her apology. 

"I never thought that I would have to apologize to you of all people. We were best friends, we didn't fight and that was just our relationship. I messed up. Went down a path that you tried blocking me from and despite your efforts, I kept walking. 

Finding out the truth about me hit me harder than ever expected and I shouldn't have taken it out on you. The person who has been there for me doesn't lie to me, the one person on earth who never hurt me. I shouldn't have repaid you for all of that by hurting you. 

It hard, but for a while I wanted us to just go back to normal. Playing around my room, running home together, eating ice cream into the early hours of the morning and just being around one another. But I know some of our easy moments are gone, and we have to work a little harder to get back to where we used to be.

I don't want what I did tear us apart so early in life. We have so much going on and I don't know about you but I want to go through it with you, so if you are willing, if maybe just maybe you want to put the pieces back together just know I want to too, I will do whatever it takes to go back to where we started. So I am sorry and I hope one day you believe me and forgive, even if I don't deserve it." 

Nicole took a moment to see if Ava would respond but when she didn't she decided it was best to leave. So she sighed giving the girl one last look before walking on her way. Maybe some friendships have to end in order for-

"Nik wait," Ava's voice rang out. " I don't want to have a cliche movie moment but I forgive you. I know you were going through something I should have been more sensitive" The girls were now in front of one another. 

"No, I was a jerk. I was acting out of control and you removing yourself from that situation was probably the best choice you could have made." Nicole said. "I truly mean that." 

"I know you do. " Ava said. "I believe you, just like I believe that you doing what you did was a one-time thing," 

"you know it was," she answered. "You're my best friend and I don't want to hurt you ever again. Will you give me a chance to show you how much I mean that?" 

"Yeah, I life was kinda boring without you," A smile appeared on both girls face and then the girls wrapped each other in a hug. "We have so much to catch up," Ava muttered. 

"Yeah," Nicole sniffed. "We have so much to talk about, a lot has been happening as you have probably noticed." 

"I am sorry Nik, you don't deserve to be going through that type of bullying, no one does." Ava pulled away. "Do you wanna meet at my house after school? We can stay up all night and have some milkshakes. My mom bought a big old bag of jelly beans and all kinds of other candy." 

"As fun and amazing as that sounds, I actually have something with someone else after school," Nicole felt horrible for bailing on Ava, especially after they just made up. 

"Nicole Jones, did you make a new best friend?" She asked raising an eyebrow. "Because last I checked I was the only one allowed to hold that title." Nicole laughed. 

"No of course not, but uh we haven't caught up in a bit," She sighed. "Chris and Scarlett came over for dinner and well I kinda was having a bad day and Chris came up and talked to me I think we bonded a lot." 

"Really? Chris? A lot has changed. So are you two hanging out with Scarlett? I am sure she is excited." 

"Well no, I haven't been able to talk with Scarlett since I told you about how she bailed from dinner," She shook her head. "I don't I feel like she is trying too much to the point where she is trying to force herself in believing she wants to be around me," 

"Well it's her lost Nik," Ava smiled at Nicole, "At least Chris is awesome, I do hope they like me," 

"They better," she laughed, "You're my best friend," Nicole smiled. The two girl's moment was interrupted by the school bell and kids piling into the school. "See you at lunch?" 

"Of course." 

It felt nice, Ava had been her best friend forever, so reconnecting with her made her life feel somewhat normal again. Even if her life was anything but normal.