Chapter 25.

Nicole walked through the hallways of her school on Friday morning. No one knew the information that she knew, however, she did and it just felt so different walking around these halls. This was her last year of Middle School before she moves on to high school, which would be a pretty big deal, and she wanted to make the most out of this year, however, it just wasn't the same as it used to be before she went to LA. 

"I feel like everyone is watching me." She said a bit shy to Ava who was walking beside her. They were both feeling a bit odd, however, Ava came back before her so she was a bit more used to the paranoia that was occurring.

"It might feel a little bit odd but trust me, they know nothing. Besides the only thing, anyone is thinking about is about going home. Common knowledge." Ava said sliding her food into her back pocket before putting all of her attention into her best friend. 
"I never had the chance to ask, how did the goodbyes go? It must have been awkward." She asked in all curiosity as they arrived at their usual table. 

"There just wasn't really any goodbyes," Nicole said placing her textbooks on the table and taking a seat. Ava sends her a confused look. 

"What do you mean there wasn't a goodbye? A goodbye practically demonstrates how the rest of the relationship would be!" she exclaimed. 

"Then it makes sense because just like their goodbye, they won't be present," Nicole said before sighing. "It's my own fault really, to have believed that people like them would ever be interested in being in my life. I mean they gave me up for a reason." 

"Hey I don't think that that is true, do you understand me when I say that? You are amazing like I have already told you before-" Nicole cut her best friend off. 

"Yeah, I just need some time okay?" Nicole asked her best friend, and she needed to be given this time. She really didn't want to have this conversation once again. She needed to just be a regular kid with no ties to them. They were wearing her down emotionally. 

Ava watched her best friend. She decided that it was best not to prie on the subject. She really didn't want to anger Nicole and knowing the tuff time she has had lately giving her space was probably the best choice. So she sat there and went back on her phone as her friend stared at the nothingness of the wall. 

As school ended Nicole and Ava have been a bit distant from one another, not interacting in their usual loud and entertaining banter everyone is used to seeing. In fact, it gets the attention of someone who they have never even spoken to. 

"Well if it isn't thing one and thing two." The two girls looked up from their shoes, where their eyes have been glued as they walked home. They saw a tall blonde, she was a grade older on the other side of the school, which is considered 'high school.' but in all reality, it was just budget cuts at it's finest. 

Even though they were still in the same area 'middle schoolers' and 'high schoolers' weren't allowed in the same area due to a bullying incident that happened a while back, so the two were pretty much separated from one another. 

"I am sorry but do we know you?" Nicole asked raising an eyebrow, they never before have been approached by a high schooler so it was confusing. 

"Not yet," She smirked. "Name is Marie, and a little birdie told me that you two were having some best friend issues." She said. Ava sent Nicole a nervous and confused look, but all Nicole did was a shrug. 

"What does it matter to you?" Nicole asked. Out of both of them, Nicole would more often do the talking due to her being the more outspoken one, unless Ava was nervous. 

"Well, as you will be joining our side of the school next year, I just thought it would be nice to show you the ropes, and it's important to keep your friends." She said, however, there was something off about the way she spoke that made Ava a little but nerved. "So I suggest you come to my party tonight." She said a with a smile that only Ava picked up on. 

"Party? Tonight? Is it someone's birthday?" Nicole asked never having been to anything else but a birthday party. The girl shook her head. 

"No, it's just a chance for everyone to relax. Everyone will be there and I suggest that you come too, because if you don't it will leave a mark on you the rest of high school." She said and reached into her pocket. She pulled out a piece of paper shoving it into Nicole's hand. "Here's the address, don't miss it." 

As they went home neither of them talked about the incident because Ava thought they were smart enough not to go. High School parties would never end well. Nicole, on the other hand, may have other ideas.

"You wanna watch a movie later tonight? Or study?" Ava asked as they reached her front porch. She searched Nicole's face for an answer however the look on her face told her Nicole wasn't up for a movie night. 

"Actually I was thinking about going out tonight." She said a bit cautiously not knowing how her best would act. Ava, of course, frowned at her statement because Nicole would always be found at home on her phone or watching Netflix. 

"Going out? Nicole last time we had a Friday night together the most going out we did was out of your room for dinner. Where could you possibly be going?" She asked raising an eyebrow and crossing her arms. 

"Well I mean I kinda maybe wanna go and check out that party," Nicole said to her best friend who frowned at her words. 

"No. Absolutely not Nic, we aren't going to a high school party." Ava said strictly, Nicole looked at her with an annoyed look, like a teenager would to her mother. 

"Are you seriously standing her telling me what I can and can't' do? Ava, you aren't my parents I already have four of those." She said rolling her eyes. Ava looked at her best friend shocked. "I don't need your permission, I am going to this party." 

"No, you aren't. You are gonna get yourself in trouble again! Nicole those people are no good, they are trying to make a fool out of you!" Ava tried her best to warn her best friend, however, Nicole was having none of it. "I am not going to this party." 

"You don't control me Ava, and I don't need you for everything I do, I can go to this party on my own and be perfectly fine. The only reason I go with you places is that you need me!" Nicole said to Ava not thinking about her words.

"Is that really how you feel? Because that wasn't exactly how you were speaking when you needed me to go with you to LA!" Ava said back to her. 

"Well, maybe I didn't want to hear you complain about the rest of our lives about not have to be able to go! Maybe I am tired of you complaining." Nicole told her rolling her eyes. Ava looked at her with a shocked face, they have never gotten into a fight before. 
"Maybe for once in my life I don't have to wait for you!" 

"Is that really how you feel?" Ava asked looking Nicole in the eyes. Nicole was speechless only for a moment as she searched for her friend's eyes. Ava thought that maybe Nicole would changer her mind and apologize for her behavior. But how she was wrong. 

"What if it is?" Nicole asked not giving any kind of emotion. Ava was shocked at her best friend attitude, it didn't even feel like her best friend at all.

"If that's really how you feel then maybe we should we should take a break," Ava said hoping that maybe this will change her mind. However, instead, Nicole laughed right back into her face. Ava frowned. 

"We aren't in a relationship Ava, we are not dating..." Nicole said and didn't even stop laughing when the hurt on Ava's face was very evident. But after a second her laughter died down and she looked at Ava. "Maybe we need some time apart." 

Ava was silent, none of this was supposed to happen. It was all supposed to be okay. Nicole was supposed to come home from this emotional trip to her best friend to find all the love and care to come between them. Not this, they weren't supposed to take a break, they were supposed to be best friends forever. 

"Maybe we do." No, they didn't.   

"Fine by me." Nicole replied before a awkward silence fell between one another. Neither knowing what to say to one another. Nicole was first to turn around and leave her yard, leaving Ava speach less.  

What was happening?