Chapter 3

The pair sat at their desks next to each other, pulling out their own things to pass the time. Even with the whole mishap at Tatooin Station, they had arrived early. Midoriya opted to continue writing in his "Hero Analysis for My Future" notebook. Ayano continued to work on her pressure gadget, but she pulled out a whole new array of materials from her bag.

Now having a desk to work on, she could properly modify her whole invention. Midoriya glanced at her work to see what looked like a bionic arm cover. It seemed to be a mix of an exoskeleton arm and a gauntlet – not able to cover enough of an arm to be called a complete gauntlet but it also didn't cover so little to be called an exoskeleton.

It was altered in some places, but the boy recognized it as one of her previous inventions a couple months back. It was a sort of rope launcher that could shoot far and fast. He had tested the grappling hook on a branch of a tall tree, and he was pulled up so quickly he almost vomited. He also recalled the memory so vividly because he ended up being stuck in that tree for a couple hours, not knowing how to get back down and not willing to use another of Ayano's inventions.

"Did you change something on that?" Midoriya asked curiously. "Yes, I'm capitalizing on its pressure output. I used this mechanism for the basis of the pressure tunnel. I also modified it so that I can attach the pressure tunnel on top, effectively combining the two equipment." She answered all while still entirely focused on connecting the proper wires.

Midoriya's eyes sparkled. "Wow! Then it'll really feel like Backdraft's water cannon!" He then paused and furrowed his brows, realizing that he had only seen the device shoot out air. "Where does the water come from then?"

"I'm working on that. As of right now, it has not completed its purpose, but it is fully functional." To prove her point, she pressed a button causing one entire side of the mechanical arm to open. She slipped her arm inside and the machine closed, securing itself to her arm. Before Midoriya could react, she aimed her arm, now attached with the wind tunnel, and shot a gust of air at his face.

He shrieked in surprise. There was no pain, but the act was completely unexpected and it blew his already messy hair into a bigger mess. "Aya-chan!"

"It works..." Midoriya laughed at her antics and was about to say more but the teacher entered, following the ringing of the bell. He began talking about their futures and career forms, so Ayano completed zoned everyone out. Instead, she continued working on her bionic arm.

Her focus wasn't kept for long though because of Bakugou's constant yelling. It seemed like that boy didn't have any clue what an inside voice was. Ayano chose to ignore him as she was accustomed to, but she realized that wasn't an option when the teacher revealed Midoriya's plans to apply to U.A. High School.

She sighed in annoyance. At least she could see if the rope launcher of the bionic arm still worked. Opening the cartridge, she removed the hook of the rope and reset the machine.

"I-I wasn't saying I could compete with you! Not at all! I-It's just been my dream since I was little...and there's no harm in trying..." Midoriya trailed off.

Bakugou exploded more. "Try?! Try what?! The entrance exam?! You think this is so—GAH?!" He was about to launch himself at Midoriya, but his voice and air circulation were cut off by a sudden rope constricting his wind pipes. He could only move his head slightly, but he could clearly see that Ayano was standing behind him, her right arm stretched out and the rope leading into the machine on her arm.

He clawed at the rope around his neck, intending to burn it off with his quirk when Ayano's voice stopped him. "I wouldn't do that if I were you. That rope is made of nylon. It's an excellent shock absorber, and it doesn't burn well. It melts. So, unless you want nylon melted onto your skin, I would calm down."

"Sasaki!! How many times have I told you not to test your inventions on other students! And Bakugou, the use of quirks in school is prohibited!" The teacher chastised them both. Ayano simply looked at him and retracted the rope. Bakugou had a coughing fit, desperately trying to take in air.

Ayano walked past him and lent a hand to Midoriya. "Th-Thanks, Aya-chan..." As they walked back to their desks, Ayano and Bakugou glared at each other.

Happy that the rope launching mechanic of her device was still as good as ever, the young inventor continued to pay no attention to the lesson and worked on the machine instead.

The last bell rang for dismissal, and everyone started packing up. Ayano was about to leave with Midoriya, but she got called over by a teacher. The girl hesitated, looked at Bakugou still at his seat, then back at Midoriya. Her face didn't change at all, but the green-haired boy could easily tell that she was worried. "I-It's fine, Aya-chan! Don't keep the teacher waiting!"

She kept looking into the boy's eyes, waiting to see if he would change his mind, but he stood his ground. "I-I'll just go on ahead, okay?" He reassured her. The girl still took a few moments, but ultimately nodded and followed the teacher out.

"Sasaki-kun, are you sure you don't want to apply to U.A.'s Support Department? You have one of the brightest engineering minds this school has ever seen! Even without a quirk, I'm sure you'd pass their Support Department entrance exam with flying colors!" The teacher looked up at her from the seat at his desk, her filled out career form in his hands.

Wanting to show him at least some respect, Ayano held in her sigh. "Please excuse my next words, sir. With all due respect, I'm almost positive you all just want me to attend U.A. so that this school will have the reputation and honor of saying that they have had a student get accepted into that prestigious high school."

The teacher opened his mouth to object, but Ayano held up her hand, silencing him. "You can lie to me all you want, but there is no need for it. All middle schools nowadays are like this. Addressing why I don't want to go to U.A.: the main priority of that school is to produce top-notch heroes. It is only logical to assume that most of its funding and efforts would be directed to its Heroics Department then. You are already aware that I have no interest in becoming a hero. As such, I would much rather go to a school with low publicity that would fit my needs than a school with high publicity that doesn't."

At her lengthy explanation, the teacher had no retort ready. Noticing this and wanting to quickly get back to the classroom because she was still worried about Midoriya, Ayano bowed to him and left without another word.

Some teachers were still walking through the hallways, so Ayano could only speed walk back to the classroom without getting scolded. A couple of feet away from the door, she could hear Bakugou's voice.

"You wanna be a hero so bad? I've got a time-saving idea for you. If you think you'll have a quirk in your next life, go take a swan dive off the roof!" The blond boy turned to casually walk through the door only to be met with a sudden electric shock at the center of his chest, not noticing that Ayano was just outside.

The girl had given him a hard palm punch into his chest, the small device in the center of her palm delivering an electric current to shock him. The pain was so immense that his mouth was open in a silent scream. Ayano simply walked past him, towards Midoriya.

One of Bakugou's lackeys yelled in shock, "What was that??!?" Without sparing him a glance, she answered, "A modified joy buzzer."

She grabbed Midoriya's wrist and dragged him out while still ignoring Bakugou.