Chapter 37

"You have been informed in advance, but us homeroom teachers are conducting these visits to personally invite you to partake in U.A.'s new boarding policy." Junk Master relayed to them, the incredibly polite and formal speech highly uncharacteristic of him.

"As for her placement in the 1-A dorm instead of the 1-H dorm...we thought it would be best to keep her and Bakugou in the same area. We can't rule out the possibility that the two of them will be targeted again, considering recent events. As such, it would be easier to protect them while they're in the dorms together."

The man looked away, as if he were uncomfortable with saying his next point. "This is also for the safety of the other students as well. If her and Bakugou will be targeted in the future...this arrangement minimizes damage. We are not completely sure of the villains' information network, but we must assume the worst-case scenario."

"Should they become aware of all the students' living arrangements, this provides a sort of countermeasure. Since she'll be living in the 1-A dorm, her classmates of 1-H will be at less risk. The villains' attacks will most likely be centering around Class 1-A and Class 1-B. Without Ayano in the 1-H dorm, there's less of a need for villains to be there. So, there's less danger for her fellow 1-H classmates."

Junk Master coughed awkwardly. "Of course, this is only if something like that happens. We're just taking extra care with this matter."

Ayano set down the four cups of steaming tea onto the wooden table as she glanced between the adults. Junk Master sat on one side of the table in a pristine suit that seemed a bit too small for him.

Her parents sat across from him. Her father stared right at the man, arms loosely crossed. Her mother had her hands in her lap, staring down at them with a face full of concern while gently biting her lip. Ayano took a seat next to her mother, lightly sipping at the tea. She had no intention of speaking up first and her father wasn't exactly the type to talk much either.

A long time passed before anyone said anything. Just as expected, Asuka broke the silence. "When Ayano told us that she was going to U.A., we were so surprised. Primarily a hero school and not a support school? It was such a shock!"

"I had fully supported her decision. Ayano was always a smart child. She knew what was best for her without mother telling her." The woman tightly gripped at her skirt, the fabric bunching in her lap. "Even so...I had my concerns. Arguably the best hero school there is? Of course, that place would attract the attention of some villains here and there. It's only natural."

"I was fine with it because I knew Ayano had no interest in becoming a hero. I knew she was going to the Support Department and that's where she would stay. She's more than capable of taking care of herself. So, I thought that she wouldn't be in much danger because, if anything, the kids in the Heroics Department would be at risk more than her. That was obviously not the case." Tears began to form in her eyes, slowly streaming down her cheeks, off her chin, and plopping onto the tops of clenched hands.

Ayano continued staring into her tea cup, her face never changing. Not even at the sound of her mother's tears.

"I thought about this so much. Since those boarding letters came in the mail. Initially, I didn't want you to take away my precious daughter. Absolutely not! Not after the school failed to protect her already! If she needs protection, then I could simply just call in a few favors and it would be fine."

The woman paused, taking out some tissues to wipe her face. "But I know what my logic-obsessed husband would say. Regardless of whether or not Ayano dorms at U.A., I can still call in those favors and have her protected my way. In that case, it would obviously be better to have U.A.'s protection along with my protection. Even if you have failed before, it's still more security."