Chapter 12

Inko ran towards the door after hearing some knocking. "Ah! Aya-chan! Good morning!" The older woman let the girl inside and offered her a questioning look. "You normally just wait outside..."

Ayano nodded with her normal impassive attitude. "Good morning, Inko-san. I usually do, but it appears your son is late." Shouting from his room, she could hear the rush in his voice. "I-I'll be right there, Aya-chan!" The girl just sighed and pulled out another of her inventions to tinker with and pass the time.

Taking this opportunity, Inko captured the girl's attention. "Um...Aya-chan, could I ask you for some advice?" The brown-haired girl simply raised an eyebrow as the woman ushered her further inside.

Finally ready, Midoriya burst from his room and scrambled for the front door where his shoes were. He was frantically putting them on and lacing them when he noticed that Ayano wasn't even in the hallway. "Aya-chan? I'm ready! We're going to be late!" He shouted.

The girl appeared in the hallway after a few moments, followed by his mother. It seemed like they were talking as the older woman thanked the younger. After accepting the woman's thanks, Ayano directed her attention to him. "Pray tell, exactly who is responsible for us being late?" Midoriya just sweat-dropped and relented.

The two were on their way as soon as Inko finished being a mother hen and worrying about her son having all of his things.

On their way to school, Midoriya was constantly mumbling his concerns, particularly about not wanting some scary students in the same class as him. Oddly enough, Ayano was listening to him rather than working on something.

He was too busy worrying to notice, but she squinted her eyes at him, a frown set on her face. She had been thinking this ever since he said he got accepted, but she felt that there was definitely something amiss.

To be accepted without a quirk is one thing. To be accepted into the hero course as well as class 1-A was an entirely different thing. That class was to be designated for the students with some of the highest potential of becoming heroes. To be placed into 1-A without a quirk was simply unthinkable and basically impossible.

Of course, Ayano's faith in Midoriya had never wavered since they were children. She believed whole-heartedly that he could become a hero, but she obviously didn't think he would be placed into the top course. If anything, she assumed he would have been placed into the General Education course if he even got in at all.

She knew he went through some tough training the ten months prior to the exam, but that shouldn't have been enough. Let's say he did gain a lot of fighting experience and built up a good amount of muscle. There's still no way that he could have defeated so many robots in the exam and definitely not as much as those with quirks that were perfectly suited for the test like Bakugou.

As such, some major suspicions were raised. There's really no way to cheat on the exam and even if there were, Midoriya was definitely not the type to do so. Not finding a plausible solution to her questions, Ayano took her suspicions to Inko.

"Eh? Izuku didn't tell you? It's amazing! He said his quirk miraculously manifested after all this time! It really is a miracle! Oh, but it really worries me! He said because it only came about now, he doesn't really know how to control it that much. What if he gets hurt? Oh, Izukuuuu!!"

Not wanting to worry the woman any further, Ayano kept her questions to herself. Even though his mother told her all that, she didn't exactly believe it.

Quirks have never manifested past the age of four. When they were younger, Midoriya had even told her himself that he had the same bone in his foot that she did, indicating their quirkless nature.