Chapter 17

"If you'll be the number one hero someday, I want to know your name!" The boy's eyes widened and he turned back to her. He gave a toothy grin.

"I'm Bakugou Katsuki! You better remember it!"

And remember it, she did.

"Kacchan! Kacchan!" Thinking it was that Deku at first, the boy turned around with a scowl. The scowl was still present, but it's intensity lessened when he saw Ayano. "Who the heck are you?"

The little girl tilted her head to the side, confused. "Sasaki Ayano! We met yesterday." Oh, right. She was Deku's friend. "Don't call me 'Kacchan.'" She blinked. "Why? Izu-kun calls you that, so I thought it was okay." "Well, it's not! So stop!!"

She hummed in thought. "Kacchan is better than calling you Bakugou though, so I'll keep calling you Kacchan." He growled in frustration. "So, you can call me 'Aya-chan!'" She offered as a compromise.

Ignoring her, he went back to playing in the sandbox. When she kept looking over his shoulder, he realized that she wouldn't be leaving anytime soon. "What do you want?" The girl beamed at finally being acknowledged.

"Here!" She shoved something into his hands. It was a slingshot. Similar to the one she built yesterday but much more advanced. Rather than being made of wood from a tree branch, it was made of metal. The string was also made of latex bands and not just broken hair ties.

The simple weapon also had more parts to it than the makeshift one yesterday. The bottom of the handle extended forward with a gaping hole in it. It was an area to slip your arm through and hold the slingshot. The wrist brace would then rest on top of the arm.

After studying the slingshot, Bakugou's eyes returned to Ayano's very excited and anticipating ones. "I made a new and improved version of the one yesterday since I got good materials from my dad! Use it! Use it!" She shouted, pointing at a stray can.

The boy grimaced. The can was much further away than what they aimed at yesterday. He knew he was amazing, but there's no way he could hit that. It was just too far!

But it wasn't.

The pebble shot into the can, right in the center. Maybe he was more amazing than he thought.

Ayano raised her arms into the air, jumping up and down twice. "Yes! It works!" Bakugou found that he couldn't tear his eyes away from her smile and excitement. He decided to use the slingshot again, hitting the same can many more times.

He stared at the slingshot. Though he wouldn't admit it aloud, it was definitely better than the ones he and his friends made yesterday. "What's your name?" He asked, even though she had already told him twice now.

Still elated at the success of her gadget, Ayano was unfazed. "Sasaki Ayano. You can call me Aya-chan." He was about to say more when her mother called out for her. "Ayano! It's time to go home!" The girl quickly apologized to Bakugou and bid him farewell.

As she got up to run to her mother, he called out to her. "Hey, wait! Your slingshot!" She stared at him, contemplating something. "Hmm, that's okay! You can keep it." He raised an eyebrow at her. "Why?"

"I'm going to make lots of inventions and machines in the future. I'm going to be somebody who makes lots of things to help people in need, but I'm also going to make support items for amazing heroes! You said you're going to be the number one hero someday, right? Then, you'll definitely be the most amazing one and I'll make a bunch of support items for you. That slingshot can be the first!"