Chapter 51

"Aya-chan!! You got scouted by the Detnerat Company?!?" The aforementioned girl slowly turned her head up to look at her childhood friend surrounded by several of their classmates. Her listless eyes were a stark contrast to his very excited ones.

At first, Bakugou glared at Midoriya for interrupting his time with Ayano. Although, it's not like they were in a private place and it wasn't like they were on a date. Ayano had once again come down to the lounge just so that she would have a larger space to work on her creations.

After the green-haired boy's outburst, Bakugou's confused gaze went to Ayano. She had already turned her attention back to her work in front of her. "That is correct." She replied in her usual apathetic tone.

"That's amazing!! That's the number one company for lifestyle support items!!" Midoriya continued energetically. He started going on a little rant about the company. Of course, it wasn't to the same degree that he would have ranted for heroes, but he definitely knew a thing or two about support companies because of Ayano.

Suddenly, the boy realized that he was far more excited about the prospect than Ayano was. He hadn't expected her to outwardly show much enthusiasm in the first place, but he could usually tell from the small glints in her eyes if she was excited about something. Even that glint wasn't there. He tilted his head in confusion as his voice slowly petered out, unsure of Ayano's reaction.

When she noticed that his fervor had faded, Ayano spoke. "I declined their offer." This short statement caused both of her childhood friends to jump a little in surprise and their classmates to shout out in shock.

She declined?!? That didn't sound right at all! The Ayano that they both knew would jump at the chance to further her career. "But why?! Isn't this a great opportunity for you?!" Midoriya questioned after he snapped out of the shock.

The young inventor put down her tools and leaned back into the couch. She took a deep breath, relaxing as she placed her hands onto her lap. She took a few moments to gather her thoughts. "I do not believe that it would be in my best interest to accept their offer. To be more precise, it does not align with my interests. It is most certainly an excellent opportunity, just not one that is most beneficial to me." She spoke slowly and evenly, as if she were taking great care in choosing her words.

"Rather than an internship, they offered me a job after the interview. A full-time one, at that. Of course, that would be after I have gone through all the examinations to gain the proper licenses and such. I do not intend to work for another company any time soon. My goal from the beginning was to create my own support company. Although I do commend the Detnerat Company for their work, I had planned on being more hero support oriented. Working for the leading lifestyle support company, though it would be an impressive point to write in my résumé, is not exactly something that will help me attain my goals." She carefully explained.

She didn't let it slip that the Detnerat Company was planning on going into the hero support industry. She had promised the CEO to keep that a secret until the company made an official announcement in December. That fact had initially gotten her interested in working for the company, but the interview she had with Yotsubashi Rikiya was very...off putting. The reasons she just gave Midoriya were entirely valid and were the truth. However, the interview was the thing that finalized her decision.

Due to her circumstances, they had agreed to do the interview over a video call. Throughout the call, the man had referred to quirks as 'special abilities' multiple times. It was a term that Ayano recognized from the book, Meta Liberation War. It was an autobiography that she had read when she was young and first learning about the government's control over quirks. The book stressed that 'special abilities' were a basic human right and the use of them should not be restrained by the government like it is now.