Chapter 32

It had been a couple days since the villain attack on the training camp.

Since Bakugou had been captured.

Midoriya was transferred to a nearby hospital, drifting in and out of consciousness. There were gaps in his memories with pain accompanying most of them.

He glanced to his left to find cut apples on his nightstand and a concerned note from his mother.

"Izukuuuu! Enough, already! Your old mom's heart can't take it..."

"This may be your dream, but you are her son. Her only son. You cannot keep ignoring her feelings."

He gazed absentmindedly at the ceiling, only able to move his neck and head without too much pain.

His mother was never one to reprimand him too harshly, but Ayano had no such reservations. Although, that really wasn't his biggest concern.

He was just disappointed in himself – ashamed even.

Suddenly, his classmates came into the room to greet him. All of them were relieved to see him awake, but there was this sense of unease on all of them.

Emotions ran wild as Kirishima and Todoroki revealed their intentions of going to save Bakugou.

Their conversation was interrupted by soft knocking. The room was shrouded in silence, each student hoping that law enforcement wasn't on the other side of the door and that whoever it was, didn't hear about their risky plans.

The door slid slightly open, an adult woman poking her head through. "Izu-kun! You're awake! That's great. I hope you don't mind that we came to visit." She walked in with another man, presumably her husband.

The entire class let out a collective breath, incredibly relieved that it was someone Midoriya knew. "Asuka-san! Kaito-san!" The boy greeted, equally relieved and surprised with a tinge of gratitude. "You didn't have to come all this way..."

He noticed something off about the two of them. They seemed...tired, and incredibly so. Asuka was always cheerful, or at least tried to be. Midoriya could tell that her cheerfulness now was not nearly to the degree that it always is. Something was wrong. Was it really just concern about him being admitted to the hospital?

"Nonsense! Of course we would come to visit when you're in such a condition. You're basically a son to us with how close you and Ayano are!" Asuka placed the bouquet of flowers in the empty vase on the nightstand.

The students' minds clicked with recognition upon hearing of the woman's connection to their classmate. So the gentle woman and stern-looking man were Ayano's parents. They saw that Ayano got her hair and more feminine features of her face from her mother, but that constantly stoic look and personality definitely seemed to come from her father.

"We also brought you some fruit to help nurse you back to health!" Asuka gestured to her husband who simply lifted the gift basket full of fresh produce.

She looked around the room, glancing upon each student's face. "My, you have so many visitors today, Izu-kun. You're so popular!" The woman gasped. "Might you all know of my daughter, Ayano?"

At some hesitant and shy nods, Asuka gave a small smile. "I'm glad she's been able to make so many friends!" She bowed to them. "She may be a handful sometimes, but she always means well. Please take care of her."

Many of the students grew embarrassed, not entirely accustomed to the situation. They covered it with sheepish laughter.

It was then that Midoriya realized what seemed off this entire time. Most of his classmates and even Ayano's parents visited him.