Chapter 24

"Calm down, Baka-gou. I agreed to follow you so there is absolutely no need for you to pull me along like this." The boy ignored her, keeping his vice-like grip on her wrist and dragging her through the student entrance tunnel.

"This is highly unnecessary. Not to mention you still have not informed me of your sudden ag—" "Raising me as a hero who could exceed All Might, just to fulfill his own ambitions. As I remember it, mom was always crying..." Todoroki's chilling voice stopped them both. In the large and nearly empty entrance tunnel, his words seemed to echo with their severity.

" 'I can't stand to see that left side of yours' she said, before throwing scalding water in my face." In his shock, Bakugou's grip on Ayano's wrist loosened. "Bakugou!" The girl whispered in warning, but he seemed intent on staying to listen.

Ayano shook her head, realizing it was too late for them to leave anyways. Bakugou didn't seem willing to turn back around and the only other exit would require going past Midoriya and Todoroki.

The half-hot, half-cold boy didn't have much more to say, stating his own ambitions and rebellion of his father. Bakugou listened quietly, tensing up at his grave revelations in addition to seeing some sort of connection between Midoriya and All Might. He grew a bit annoyed though at Midoriya's own declaration of war towards Todoroki.

"That half-and-half keeps on challenging the wrong guy!! I'll show him who the real threat is." He rounded on Ayano when she remained silent. "Aren't you going to say anyth—!?" He stopped mid-question as he turned around. Bakugou was met with a completely calm and impassive Ayano.

The odd part was that she had some sort of green gunk over her ears. He recognized it to be the slime from the pills that she used in the cavalry battle.

Noticing his confused stare, Ayano turned to him. She removed the goo cupping her ears. "Oh. Have they finished talking?" The green substance seemed to come off easily, otherwise the blond might have been a bit more disgusted. He was eerily reminded of the sludge incident, momentarily becoming very annoyed at having remembered that event.

"It is impolite to eavesdrop. You may not hold any inclination towards such propriety, but I for one hold myself to a much higher standard." "The hell is that supposed to mean?!?" She gave a breath of a laugh. "Surely you are smart enough to figure even that much out."

A couple of veins were beginning to show themselves on his temples, but he quickly reeled in his anger. This wasn't what he brought her here for. "You sure pulled some ballsy shit during the cavalry battle." He stated after calming down. "I have no idea what you are talking about."

Bakugou smirked, bearing his teeth and knowing full well that she was simply playing dumb. "You and I both know that the next event's gonna be a one-on-one competition." Ayano raised a single eyebrow at him, prompting to continue.

"You better not let anyone beat you, or I'll kill you!" She almost laughed at that. "A challenge then. Did you drag me here to question my sincerity in reaching the top? You sure have an odd way of doing it. I may have wavered during the obstacle course, but I can assure you that will not happen here." The girl turned around, ready to head to the waiting rooms so she could prepare for the next event.

Her arm was yanked back, her body falling back towards him and hitting his chest. Ayano tilted her head back to look up at Bakugou. "I'm serious." He did not glare. He did not frown. He did not hesitate.

He simply looked back at her with eyes full of resolve.

"...I never said you weren't." She pulled her arm away from his hold and slowly turned around to face him. She met his gaze with equal determination. "I will say the same to you. You better not make a fool of yourself after that ridiculous pledge you made."