Chapter 44

Everything was in ruins, debris falling all around her. Buildings were decimated, cars smashed, and roads torn apart. Everything was covered in smoke and flames, the thick fog surrounding and permeating her lungs. The far-off screams of civilians rang through her ears.

She looked left and right, searching for signs of life. Her eyes darted here and there, her breath growing more and more rapid by the second. Each thing she saw caused her to breath harder. She didn't know whether the tears in her eyes was due to the smoke, her fear, her sadness, or a combination of all three.

Bodies...So many bodies...

Izuku...Mei...Kirishima...Fujiyoshi...Todoroki...

Even her other classmates and her homeroom teacher.

They were all there, lying motionlessly on the ground among the rubble, blood pooling around them.

It was especially chilling that they were all face-up. Their desolate eyes staring straight at her.

She tried moving towards them, but her body wouldn't listen to her mind. It was like she was surrounded by water. She couldn't move like she wanted to, and air was becoming scarce.

She quickly shut her eyes, unable to bear looking at their lifeless bodies any longer. Suddenly she realized that somebody was missing from the piles of dead bodies.

Bakugou Katsuki

She opened her eyes again, stomaching the bile that was rapidly rising. Her head snapped from side to side, desperately trying to find a head of ash blond hair, yet also not wanting to find him at all.

An explosion went off nearby. She knew that sound from anywhere. It was one of his.

Unlike before, her body actually listened to her. She still moved much too slowly for her liking though. Dodging around all of the falling debris, her lungs started to burn from all the smoke.

She couldn't give up now. Not when he was so close.

Finally coming to her destination, she was instantly struck with a wave of relief. It was short-lived, however, as she saw how battered and bruised he was.

He was clearly outnumbered, facing against the entirety of the League of Villains by himself. She immediately rushed towards him to help, but was stopped by an unknown force. Just like before, her body wouldn't listen to her. It was like invisible vines had wrapped around her body, preventing her from moving any further.

She screamed, hoping to draw their attention to her for even a second so that he could have some sort of opening against them.

It was no use though. None of them had heard her. Not even him. It was like she didn't even exist.

She screamed and struggled, refusing to believe she could do nothing.

Even Bakugou's fighting prowess was useless against the sheer numbers of the League of Villains. Several of them were pinning him down, each of his limbs restrained.

The blood drained from her face as she saw Shigaraki Tomura slowly making his way toward the blond, his hand outstretched.

She struggled even harder, fearing the worst.

As the villain hovered his hand just above Bakugou's face, his head turned towards her. She froze, a chill going down her spine.

There was no severed hand covering his face. His manic smile was in full view. Her eyes focused on his moving, dry, cracked lips. She read them carefully, her expression growing more and more desperate as his fingers touched Bakugou's skin, quickly degrading it.