Chapter 58

When Bakugou finally returned to the dorms, Kirishima was the first to greet him. "Bakugou! Are you alright, man?"

Aside from the lack of sleep causing the bags underneath his eyes, Bakugou had apparently been gone longer than he thought. His arms had already recovered from overusing his quirk on his walk back to the dorms, but he still looked worse for wear.

Other than Kirishima, his other classmates had looked on in concern. Even Deku was worried, causing Bakugou to push past all of them in frustration. "I'm fine..." He said, but his voice was anything but.

Kirishima tried reaching out to lay a hand on his shoulder, but Bakugou quickly brushed him off without so much as a look in his direction. His classmates didn't follow him into the elevator as he aggressively pushed the button for the fourth floor.

Before walking to his room, he glanced over at the girls' side of the floor. Furrowing his brows and clicking his tongue, he trudged over to his own room. As he closed his room door, he stood there for a moment with his hand still on the doorknob. Bakugou closed his eyes, leaning forward. As the top of his head leant on the door, he gave a deep sigh.

After composing himself for a long while, he walked over to his bed. As he lay on it, the exhaustion finally kicked in and he went to sleep.

When he woke up, he checked his phone to see that a couple of hours had passed. Even so, he didn't feel refreshed at all.

Staring at his phone, he decided to do something he already knew wouldn't amount to anything. Dialing the number, he heard the repetitive tone before the typical error message set off.

The number you have reached is disconnected or temporarily disabled for various reasons and is unable to receive messages at this time.

Bakugou sighed, pulling his phone away from his ear as his other arm laid over his eyes. By now, she would already be on I-Island, and they had already come to terms with the fact that they wouldn't be able to have any form of communication for a year. As I-Island wasn't open to the public yet, and all information was government endorsed or confidential, it was too dangerous to have any outside contact.

He already knew this, but he couldn't help but try.

He didn't know why. There wasn't any logic behind it. He just did.

Dialing her number again and again, he received nothing but the same monotonous message. After the fifth dial, however, something unexpected happened.

His phone rang once with an unfamiliar sound, then stopped. Looking at the screen, Bakugou received a new message.

1 New Voicemail

Would you like to listen?

Yes                No

He stared at the screen for a bit before hesitantly pressing accept and putting his phone to his ear.

"Hello, Katsuki..."

The boy sat up instantly, his eyes wide open, no sign of his previous weariness. His heartbeat quickened, as did his breath. There was no mistaking it.

That was her voice.

"This is a pre-recorded message that I rigged your phone with. I apologize for deciding this on my own and potentially invading your privacy."

Bakugou chuckled, partially because of how relieved he felt at hearing her voice and partially because of her words. Did her voice always sound this lovely?