Chapter 22

"Following Class A and B is Classes C, D, and E of General Studies!!! And here come the Support Course Classes F, G, and H!! And the Business Courses!"

Yuudai clicked his tongue. "What are we? Just some accessories to make the hero kids look better?" Even with her thorough dislike of the boy, Ayano had to agree with him. Present Mic's basically off-handed introduction of all the other classes certainly made them feel that way. Many of the other students from the Support Course and General Studies held the same kind of resentment.

Even so, this just helped to spur Ayano on. She would simply have to rise to the top and be so much better than the rest that the audience would be forced to look at her.

As all the first-years lined up for the athlete's oath, Midnight announced that Bakugou would be the student representative. Distracted with her inventions before, Ayano was now interested in the festival's proceedings. She gave Bakugou her undivided attention.

"I pledge...That I'll be number one."

The boy was met with a flurry of screams and protests. Among those objections was a twinkling of laughter. Ayano was laughing behind her hand.

It was funny. He had changed, yet he hadn't. His drive to be number one was obviously still there and he didn't care about dragging down others. However, he wasn't saying this out of arrogance. Well...perhaps not completely out of arrogance. He was doing this on purpose. He was pushing himself, forcing himself into a situation in which he absolutely had to be number one.

If he was making enemies of everyone here, then everyone would give their all when they faced against him. It would be an indisputable victory if he wins in that situation.

Or rather, when he wins.

Ayano had absolute confidence in him.

As Bakugou descended the stairs of the stage, he met Ayano's gaze. Her amused look soon turned to one of challenge as she smirked. They seemed to have a telepathic conversation through their eyes.

"You better make good on that pledge." "Watch me."

Midnight revealed the first event to be an obstacle course race. As everyone prepared themselves in front of the gate, Ayano was left to her thoughts. She opted for the back, not caring to push herself to the front like many other eager students.

"Given the number of students here and how the U.A. Sports Festival is always held, there should be at least one other event before the battle royale type tournament is held. There are approximately 220 students in our class." The girl looked around at the stands, seeing the Business and Management Course students selling various things and taking notes of certain students, referring to them as possible 'good stock.'

"Without them, there should be around 160 students. The number of contestants will be thinned out twice before the battle royale. In that case, roughly 40 students should pass this round. The next event will most likely be held immediately after this. I should save my energy for that and aim for the low thirties."

She glanced at Bakugou who was raring to go. She looked away, almost as if in shame. Her thought process basically went against everything she had said before to Yuudai and to Shinsou. However, it was a necessary sacrifice for her to reach the top in the end.

She was in excellent physical condition, but she was definitely not on par with those of the Hero Course who received regular training. Not only that, but she was at an immediate disadvantage without a quirk.

Rather than waste effort on reaching the top in this event, she rationalized staying towards the back to conserve energy and observe future opponents.