Chapter 57

The young couple stayed close together for a moment in that warm embrace with Ayano's hands wrapped around Bakugou's neck and his hands wrapped around her waist.

Ayano was the first to pull away. Truthfully, she wanted to stay like that for as long as time would allow, but they had to return to the dorms sooner or later.

On Bakugou's end, he would have much rather pulled her back in for another kiss, but he knew that she would disapprove of it. Even though it was nighttime, they were still out in public. He couldn't care less if people saw them, but she would admonish him for disregarding modesty.

As he was debating on whether or not to pull her back to him, she interrupted his thoughts. "Oh...I suppose I should tell you now." She hummed in thought, bringing his complete attention to her. He raised an eyebrow in question.

"Our classmates, particularly Hagakure-san and Ashido-san, insisted that I give you a parting gift, as this is our last date as well as my last night with you before I depart for I-Island." She began explaining. Bakugou rolled his eyes in response, hearing very familiar words. The guys had also nagged him about the same thing. People really needed to learn how to mind their own damn business!

"I believe we both know that I am not particularly one for material objects..." She continued. It was true. The only thing that Ayano had ever taken great interest in were support items. Well...and Bakugou.

"Of course, I could always give you a hand-made gift. Another support item perhaps, but I feel that it would hold little meaning. I have already made you many support items, and I will most certainly make you more in the future. That is why I have chosen to gift you with something more symbolic." Her hand raised to grasp at a few strands of her hair, her fingers fiddling with the freshly cut ends.

"Until I return to you, I will not cut my hair."

"..."

Unlike the comfortable silences that they usually had, this one was abrupt and almost uneasy. Ayano, with her normally impassive expression, stared back at Bakugou's shocked face. She said what she wanted to, and she was simply waiting for his response.

"...Do you even know what you just said?" Bakugou finally asked. "Of course, I do. I'm the one who said it." Was Ayano's straight-laced response.

To say that he was shocked would be an understatement. They had met when they were little kids, before Bakugou's quirk had even manifested. For as long as he had known her, Bakugou had never seen her with long hair. The furthest it ever grew was to just below her chin. She always found long hair to be a nuisance, often getting in the way of her work.

Even if she kept longer hair, he was sure that it would be burned or cut off in some way due to her experimentation. That's why her hair was always so uneven and why she never bothered to accessorize it. He couldn't even imagine her with long hair!

If she wanted to gift him something more symbolic, then this was the way to do it. It was the ultimate show of devotion.

"Are you sure about that...?" The ash blond asked almost hesitantly.

Ayano raised an eyebrow. "What, are you saying I can't handle it?" She asked in challenge, playfully throwing his words right back at him.

The boy smirked. "Never said that." He took her hand, beginning to walk towards the school again.

The young inventor squeezed his hand back. "Who knows? Perhaps you will come to prefer me with longer hair." She suggested.

"I just prefer you." The explosive boy scoffed, no sign of a teasing tone in his voice. He was completely serious and meant every bit of it.