My Android Servant (Part 1)

Androids are humanoid machines, created strictly for the purpose of serving the mortal races.

Unfortunately, more and more people have started using Android replacements for real people in the work area. Due to these actions, more and more families have been becoming poor, too poor to own houses or provide for their families. These people hated the Androids, but did CyberLife, the company that produced the Androids, care? No, not at all.

"Sweetie, I think he's ready for one."

Zane paused in his tracks. He was heading for his bedroom, about to take a nap, when he had heard his parents talking. He knew he shouldn't be eavesdropping, but he couldn't help it. Even if he was practically a mute, he was a curious little thing.

Crouching behind the door, he leaned in to hear better.

"I don't know, Zianna..." His father started, clear uncertainty in his voice. "There have been... situations... where the Androids have obtained minds of their own.."

"We'll be extra careful with this one." His mother urged, a desperation in her voice. "Zane.. he's been so lonely these past few years... and you know his illness isn't getting any better.. our little boy can hardly navigate on his own..."

Zane couldn't help but feel a small bit of anger and hurt at his mother. Yes, it was true he was very sick, and there was no known cure for whatever illness he had. And it was true that his senses were becoming hazier and hazier, but he could navigate just fine!

Ignore the time he almost walked into the his older brother's room to use the bathroom. Hey, the doors looked alike!

But... what did they want to get him? A Drone? Maybe the XL-RoboPuppy he had been looking at, the one with the black metal shell and electric blue eyes, that could do tricks and serve as a guard dog.

"What model should we get him? What should it be able to do?" His father asked his mother, and there was a small pause.

"Well, he doesn't need any help for his schoolwork... but he does need a chef.. Irene forbid he cook something himself and poison himself... and a guardian. You remember all those stalkers and stuff, right? Right. But.. also one that's smart, has a sense of humor, and is like Zane.." His mother suggested, and he could hear her walking around the room.

"Model RK-800?" His father proposed, and he could hear the sound of a holographic model appearing.

"We're getting him a guardian who can cook, Garte." His mother pointed out. "Not an Android that Adolf Hitler would use."

"That's Model KK-200." His father dismissed. (You forgot a K--)

Zane cringed, remembering when those models of Androids were released. It had started a worldwide panic that things from the past would come back. Things like racism, sexism, homophobia, etc. People like Adolf Hitler made Zane scared of being human... but those people were gone now.

"Alright... do you think Zane'll like his new Android?" She asked quietly.

"I hope so, Zianna... I hope so.." His father sighed.

~~~~

Zane hid behind his older brother, staring at the Android in the room.

The new Android had a metallic plastic shell that was a fairly tanned color, with deep teal blue eyes. His hair was jet black and silky looking, silvery metallic shines of light along the hair. He was tall, big, and sturdy looking. He was made wearing the traditional CyberLife Android uniform, his model name on the front of the shirt, and his name registered on the back.

That was Zane's Android.

"Go say hi." Garroth whispered to him, elbowing him gently.

Zane was still hesitant. He never really did trust the humanoid Androids... the animalistic Androids he was okay with, but the humanoid Androids scared him to a great amount. He had heard multiple reports of the humanoid Androids going... "berserk". Normally Androids had a blue light on their temple, but when they went against their programming... that light turned red. Yellow was for in between the stages.

"Hello, Zane." The Android greeted him, his voice deep and a bit... sarcastic?

Zane didn't say anything, but he did show himself a bit more. He still kept his arm hugged around Garroth's, but the Android could now at least see him. He saw the Android's eyes widen a bit as he saw him, before a small smile formed. The light was still blue. That was a good thing... Zane would keep an eye on that light.

"My name is Gene." The Android introduced himself, holding out his hand. "Your parents ordered me to help take care of you."

Zane eyed Gene's hand cautiously, giving his older brother a look, asking for permission. Garroth nodded, giving Zane a light nudge ahead of him. Zane gave a small squeak, before giving his hand to the Android. It felt weird, but the Android's hand wasn't the cold, hard metal he was made from. It felt soft and warm, almost.. human...

Zane could tell something wasn't right with Androids.

~~~~

"Can you tell me about yourself?"

Zane looked up at Gene, who had finished cleaning up and was now spending time with Zane. It was around lunchtime, but Zane never eat during that time of day. He always had a snack and it used up his appetite, if he even had one at the time.

"Interests, hobbies, friends, where you like to hang out, favorite foods." Gene suggested, trying to make conversation. "It would really help me."

"I... I don't eat..." Zane mumbled the partial lie, hoping the Android wouldn't get all scientific with him.

"The human body requires both food and water to survive." He started, using a highly sophisticated, know-it-all voice. "You can only go three weeks without food, not your entire life."

"I don't like eating." He sighed, picking up his plastic toy ponies. "I look weird when I chew.."

"Those are cute toys." He said, changing the subject. "Doo you like horses?"

"They're ponies." He corrected, holding the pink one. "This one is my favorite."

"Who are your friends?" He asked, and Zane looked down.

"I don't have any outside of family, and even they're distant from me." He admitted. "Everyone thinks I'm too weird."

"I don't think you're weird." The Android said kindly.

"You're a robot, a machine." He pointed out with another sigh. "You don't have to think about anything."

"Well then.." Gene sighed as well, rolling his eyes. "Hobbies?"

".... I like reading.." Zane mumbled, getting an idea. "Maybe you can do something for me."

"Oh, boy, my first job." He said rather 'enthusiastically'.

"There's this book my brother has on his iShelf." He started to explain, saying it low enough for only them to hear. "It's called Fifty Shades of Grey. Think you can get it for me?"

"Fifty Shades of Grey?" He repeated, using his mental server to look up information on the book. "No, no, no no."

"What? Why not!?" He demanded, although he had good guess why.

"You're too young to read that book." His Android responded. "Your guardians also filed certain topics to my brain that you are not to view or be spoken to about. Fifty Shades of Grey violates many of those restrictions."

"Gah.. what the hell do you know about me?" Zane huffed, laying down on his bed with his back turned to the Android. "You're just a piece of plastic and metal with no mind of your own. You don't havve feelings..."

As Zane closed his eye to take a nap, he heard his Android speak. Only this time, his voice was a lot more menacing and scary.

"What the hell do you know about Androids?"

Zane slowly turned over, and his eye immediately went to the light on the side of Gene's head.

It was red.

(Hey y'all miss me?

No?

Oh okie.

I mean I know it wasn't that long ago that I completed the first book, but you know..

You should play Detroit: Become Human--)