Chee

(*remembers the resemblance between Garroth and Levin*

That's too much to be a coincidence.....

Garroth, how many hoes are you hitting up?

Like you tried to slide into Aphmau's DMs, and I KNOW for a FACT that you are hitting Laurance up behind those closed doors.

Did you hit up the original lord's wife too?)

"I'm afraid he might not make it..."

Gene's heaet stopped the second the doctor said that, an overwhelming feeling of despair washing over him. He didn't have to glance at the others to know that they were also in despair. The only ones who weren't scared and breaking down from the news were Travis, Katelyn, and Zenix. Zenix was excusable, he had seen enough death in his life to where it didn't have any effects on him anymore. Katelyn felt sad about the whole incident too, she just didn't like to cry in front of others, but Gene could see the tears in her eyes. Travis, on the other hand, he had never cared about Zane.

"The damage done to his bones and neck from the fall were nearly enough to kill him." The doctor continued, also used to people dying and delivering this kind of news. "If you hadn't found him when you did, he wouldn't have made it this far."

"A-Anything..... anything else....?" Garroth asked through his tears, the most affected of them all.

"If he makes a recovery from this, he may not be able to speak propeely." She responded, her eyes sympathetic and gentle. "His vocal cords would be damaged to much. The most he would be able to do is make small sounds, if he manages to keep his voice at all."

"Oh Irene...." The blonde trailed off, his voice wavering.

Gene couldn't wrap his head around it. He didn't even try to stop the tears from falling down his face. He didn't care if his eyes were starting to turn to a lighter blue color, he wasn't about to hide how he felt. Not right now, not while Zane was on his deathbed.

"We'll be sure to inform you of any changes in his condition." The doctor said, clearing her throat. "Right now I think it's best that you all go home and rest."

"Alright.... thank you...." Aaron replied with a nod, speaking for them.

Gene stared at him, partially out of annoyance and partially out of confusion. How could he mask his emotions so well? It was like his life depended on his emotions being hidden, like he had grown up never being allowed to show who he truly was. Gene couldn't imagine being like that. He would have either gone insane, killed himself, or completely rotted inside until he was a hollow, numb shell.

But he kept quiet. He didn't want to confront Aaron about it right now, and not here. They were all going through a difficult time right now, and questioning behaviors wouldn't make it any better. It would only agitate the others and piss off Aphmau, plus it would probably remind Aaron of something bad that had happened in his life.

"Well.... what now?" Travis asked as they went outside of the hospital. "I mean... like what are we gonna do? Are we gonna rest like the doctor said, or are we gonna do something?"

"I think we should gather at your guys place..." Aphmau said to Garroth, blinking away some tears. "You need the most support right now, Garroth.... and it's where Zane's stuff is..."

Garroth looked at Laurance, the brunette he and Zane lived with. Gene assumed he was quietly asking him if it was okay, although he didn't see why he needed his permission. Laurance was... odd in some ways. He disappeared for a long period of time, and then reappeared the next day like nothing had happened. Maybe it was payback for Aphmau and them never inviting him on their vacations, like the one to Love~Love Paradise. (Oh, if only that was the truth...)

"Alright, to their place it is." Travis said, putting on a fake smile.

~~~~

Gene had snuck away from the living room.

He headed up the staircase, to where the bedrooms were. He knew by the door that wasn't open that he had found Zane's room. That and he assumed that Zane didn't have around five baseball bats in his bedroom, or a bunch of green and red. (Laurance in Diaries represents Christmas.)

Grabbing onto the doorknob, he hesitated. Was this really okay for him to do? Would it be considered disrespectful for him to walk into Zane's room, when he was on his deathbed?

Gene barely realized that he was already turning the doorknob, walking into Zane's room.

Zane's room was painted black, one of the raven haired male's favorite colors. His bed was neatly made, with white sheets and the black comforter blanket, and gray pillowcases. The entire room was neat and clean, and it wasn't because of Laurance practically being the housemaid. Even Gene knew how much of a neat freak Zane was when it cane to his room.

Zane's only 27... that's too young to die, Gene thought. Last time Zane tried to commit suicide he was only 15...

Looking around, his eye caught sight of a little book on his desk. He picked it up, feeling the soft fur-like cover. It was black, with a small lock keeping it closed.

This must be his diary, Gene thought. He must have the key somewhere around here...

Gene checked the first place that came to mind; underneath his pillows. He lifted the two pillows, feeling a bit guilty doing so. He remembered a time when he had come over, and heard what sounded like muffled screaming. He had asked Garroth what the sound was, and the blonde had said that it was just Zane screaming into his pillows. He sat them back down, turning to look at the rest of the room. He tried to think of other places where Zane would have stored it. Maybe in one of the other rooms? Or maybe.... maybe on himself.

Gene sat the book back down on the desk, leaving Zane's bedroom. He felt immensely guilty about going in there, and then trying to get into his diary, where all his personal stuff was. He hadn't meant to go that far, it just felt like it needed to be done. Besides, the reason for Zane's attempt had to be in there somewhere.

But it wasn't Gene's place to find the reason.

~~~~

"Phee...."

Gene felt his heart crack as the raven haired male attempted to speak. He had just gotten out of the hospital yesterday, but they all agreed to give him a day to recover and prepare himself. He was just thankful that Zane had managed to survive, even if his voice was disabled.

"Zane..." Aphmau breathed, staring at her best friend in disbelief.

Zane looked down at the ground, probably feeling ashamed of himself. Aphmau surprised him when she gave him a hug, making him flinch slightly. He hugged back a few seconds later, his movements slow and shaky.

"Zane...." Gene greeted with a smile, gently stroking the raven haired male's head.

"Che...." Zane responded, resting against Aphmau's smaller form.

Gene took his turn to hug Zane, and Zane hugged back. He stroked his head gently, small tears of joy forming at the corners of his eyes. Zane was alive, he had made it through his attempt and the consequences. He was back home, where he belonged.

"Welcome home, ZuZu.."

"Chee...."