A Royal Wedding

"Suck it in!"

"Suck what in!?"

Zane groaned in pain as the corset of the dress was tightening around him, crushing his lungs and cutting into his skin. His mother kept pulling at the ribbon strings in the back, tightening the dress. Finally, she tied it into a fine bow, letting Zane regain his ability to breathe.

"Sweet, sweet air..." Zane wheezed, nearly falling over.

"Oh, dear..." Zianna frowned, handing him a glass of water. "Your face is all blue."

"I couldn't breathe.." He explained, letting out a heavy sigh.

"I know how much it hurts, ZuZu." She smiled sympathetically, taking his hands in hers. "These dresses are a bit... extreme."

"Things like these make me wish this was a peasant family." He sighed, his hair falling into his face.

"I know, ZuZu, but we are nothing of the peasantry." She replied, brushing the hair aside. "When we royals get married, we must look like the best of the best. We are given the best gowns and suits to wear."

"Why couldn't I wear a suit?" He asked, looking down at the white dress. "I'm a prince!"

"Your husband is... quite stubborn." She started, sighing. "He enjoys the idea of you in a dress."

"Divines.." He groaned, reaching for a piece of chocolate.

"No eating!" She hissed, slapping his hand away.

"Why!?" He yelped, rubbing his hand.

"Do you really want to go through the tightening again?" She asked, smiling as he shook his head. "I knew you wouldn't."

"But I'm so hungry..." He conplained, slouching over.

"You're nervous, not hungry." She insisted, going over to the dresser. "But don't worry, you'll he able to eat after the wedding."

Zane was about to say something, when a knock sounded at the door. He was about to go over, but his mother sat him down at the dresser vanity and went over to the door herself. She opened it slightly, peeking her head out and exchanging a few words with the person on the other side. After a few minutes she looked back in, glanced at Zane, and opened the door more.

"Oh, baby brother!" Garroth shouted, scooping Zane up in his arms.

"G-Garroth!?" Zane squeaked, not able to see the other two people who had entered.

"You're getting married!" He cheered, setting him back down. "You have no idea how much I have dreaded this day!"

"I think your father dreaded it the most." Zianna sighed, casting a glance up at her husband.

"Don't be so sad, guys." Zane said, feeling a bit annoyed that they were taking his job. "I'll still be able to visit every now and then, and I'll always be your family."

"Are you really wearing a dress?" Vylad asked, grabbing onto the skirt. "Are you a girl now?"

"Stop that." He huffed, swatting his hand away. "Gene wants me to wear a dress for the wedding."

As the three brothers spoke with each other, the king and queen spoke to each other in hushed voices.

"I'm not ready to let go.." Garte sighed, looking down at Zianna.

"I'm not ready either, but we don't have a choice.." She nodded, looking at her three sons with sad eyes. "It's... it's for his own good..."

"I hope you're right, Zianna.." He replied, brightening up as Zane approached him.

"Hi, father." Zane said, hugging him. "I look like a girl, don't I?"

"Yes, a little... like a more boyish version of your mother on her wedding day." He responded, hugging him back. "But that's okay."

"I hope so..." He murmured, as his mother spoke up.

"Well, it's time.." She said sadly, forcing a smile. "You'll be alright, ZuZu.."

~~~~

"Did I ever tell you that you look like an angel?"

Zane glanced up at his husband, letting the plucked rose petal fall from his hand. He had arrived with him to their new home around two hours ago, and was now enjoying the gardens there. His mother had always been in love with nature, and she had passed that enjoyment down to her children.

"Only five times in the past hour or so." Zane replied, brushing his fingers along the remaining petals. "Who takes care of the gardens?"

"My mother had always helped the maidens tend to them, but since she's gone now the maidens take care of them." Gene answered, giving him a kiss on his forehead.

"Maybe I can help the maidens, then." He suggested, but silenced himself as he saw Gene's expression.

"Nonsense, my lovely little dove." He purred, cupping his face. "You're royalty, you aren't supposed to help with these things."

"But a ruler should always help their people." He said, yelping as Gene picked him up.

"I can tell that I made the right choice by marrying you." He smiled, carrying him inside. "Don't worry, my love... you'll be able to help the people in different ways."

"That's great and all, but can I please take these shoes off?" He asked, swinging his feet.

"Why?" He asked, making sure he didn't get kicked.

"Oh, I'm sorry, but these shoes were not designed for my feet." He huffed, crossing his arms. "My toes are getting cramped up and they hurt!"

"Oh, my poor doll..." He purred, sitting him down on a bench.

Zane kicked the shoes off, leaving him in his white socks. His dress skirt covered up his feet, so he wouldn't have to worry about that. Gene sat down next to him, placing his hand over Zane's. The raven haired male looked down at their touching hands, before resting his head on Gene's shoulder.

"Rest easy, my little dove." Gene said softly, resting his head on top of Zane's.

(Me, as I'm about to publish this: I just realized that more than half of this isn't Zane x Gene, but Zane x his family.

Me: .....

Me: Oh well.)