A New Planet, A New Life

"Zane, I want you pack everything essential to you in this bag."

Zane looked up from his tablet, where he had been reading the most recent news from their Homeworld; Earth. His boyfriend, one of the captains of the Aurora Ship, had run into their shared room. He tossed one of the leather bags onto his bed, then threw one onto his own bed.

"What's the emergency, Gene?" Zane asked, setting down his tablet. "Another drill practice?"

"I'm being serious, Zane. I have a bad feeling about tomorrow." Gene huffed, already packing things up.

"There's no need to worry. My brother knows exactly what he's doing." He reassured him, but got up to pack his things anyway. "Vylad is a master of navigating the galaxies."

"Just trust me, alright?" He sighed, giving Zane an irritated look.

"I do trust you. I just don't understand why the urgency." He said, grabbing his family portrait. "Only essentials, right?"

"Yes. That means clothes, hygiene products, and anything of personal value." He nodded, pausing as he looked to Zane's bed. "That tablet is not one of them."

"Oh come on." He groaned, giving him a pouty face.

"ONLY if you can fit it." He gave in, but kept his strict rules. "But that doesn't mean to cut back on the essentials to fit it!"

"Yes Gene, I know." He huffed, rolling his eye as he continued to pack.

"Good." Gene let out a breath of satisfaction, hugging Zane close to him. "I have a seriously bad feeling about this upcoming gateway..."

~~~~

"What about my brother!?"

"There's no time, Zane! If we go back for him, we'll die too!"

The two lovers were arguing over the topic as they ran for the lifepod bay, their bags in hand. The Aurora had gone into an emergency evacuation, the alarms blaring. The corridors of the ship were alight with the flashing red lights, and the whole ship was falling to pieces.

Before Zane could make an argument, Gene pulled him close as they dropped into the lifepod. In just a few seconds the older male had closed the hatch, already strapping Zane into one of the two chairs. Soon afterwards he was in the other chair, and they stared at each other.

"Gene... are we going to die...?" Zane asked, his eye brimming with tears.

"I don't know Zane... I really don't know..." Gene admitted, sighing heavily.

~~~~

"Zane... Zane, wake up!"

The raven haired male woke up with a startled gasp, sitting upright the second he opened his eye. Sitting in front of him was his boyfriend and escape partner, with a few cuts on his face. Seeing that he was in no immediate danger, he allowed himself to take in the surroundings.

The system lights of the lifepod were red, almost as red as the Aurora. There was a conputer screen on one of the walls, alerting them of the current conditions of the lifepod's stability. There was a communication radio mounted on the other wall, with a fabricator and fire extinguisher. On the other end of the lifepod was a small storage unit, filled with the essentials for survival; water, food, medical kits, the basics.