The Gift

Zane didn't know what to get Gene for Christmas.

He was one of the three sons of Garte Ro'Meave and Zianna Ro'Meave, which meant he had a fair amount of wealth as it was. Money wouldn't be the real problem, but he did want to use his own hard-earned money to buy the present. That was the problem, though. He didn't know what to get Gene.

The black haired male had already had a majority if what he wanted in life. A house, a car, a life, money, someone to love. He didn't really care about living the high life and having expensive things, despite what a lot of people still thought. It was true, if they were the same as in high school, Gene would be clearing entire shelves of the most popular brand stores.

Zane was on the couch of their house, skimming through countless store catalogues and magazines. He just didn't know what to get his husband. He didn't even know where to start looking for anything new. So he did what he normally did when he faced with this situation, he called his best friend Aphmau.

"Hello Zane." Aphmau greeted in a cheery voice, probably snuggled up against Aaron.

"Hey Aphmau...." Zane sighed, tossing the magazine onto the coffee table. "I need some help...."

"You didn't burn the house down, did you?" She asked in a skeptical tone, knowing that he very much could. "Did you get in a fight with Gene and need somewhere to stay?"

"No to both of those, the house and everyone in it are fine." He rolled his eye, tapping his finger against his lap. "I don't know what to buy Gene for Christmas."

"Oo, that is a problem...." She mumbled, thinking for a moment. "Have you tried going to one of those stores where they sell sex outfit--"

"I'm not giving him my body for Christmas!" He cried, his face turning red. ".... I did that last year."

"Alright, alright!" She giggled, pulling the phone away to let out louder giggles. "Okay, hmm.... oh, I know! I'm heading to the outlets tonight to do the last of my shopping, if you wanna come."

"That's not a bad idea after all...." He trailed off, thinking. "Alright, I'll come pick you up at.... how does nine sound?"

"Won't Gene be home by then? You told him you were done all your Christmas shopping." She reminded him, not wanting it to be obvious to his husband.

"No, he took on a nightshift." He answered, getting up. "Alright, I'll see you then."

"Bye!" She said cheerfully, excited at the idea of shopping.

Zane ended the call and sat his phone on the kitchen counter, going upstairs and into their shared bedroom. He still had no clue what to get his husband, but maybe visiting the outlets would give him some sort of lead. Aphmau said that she always did her shopping there, so obviously it had to be a good place. She always got some of the best gifts.

"Oh Gene, why must you always be so difficult?" He sighed aloud, running a hand through his hair.

~~~~

"Irene, why is it so cold today?"

Zane shrugged as he left the car, a breeze of freezing winter air roaring in his face. It barely buffeted the oversized hoodie on him, and the black sweatpants he wore. He stuffed his hands into his pockets, following his best friend to the stores.

"Who are you shopping for?" Zane asked her, curious on who she had out off for so long.

"Travis and Lucinda. That girl has just about everything she needs for potion making and anything related to witchcraft, yet she always complains about not having a certain item or not enough of a certain ingredient." Aphmau answered, a smile on her face. "And Travis.... Irene, he's been so afraid to ask us for anything after Starlight... I want to get him something really special."

Zane nodded, a small smile of his own forming under his scarf. He remembered how guilty the white haired male had felt when he was freed from the Demon Warlock's possession, it had been such a horrific time to be alive. That was years ago, but Travis was still feeling guilty and was traumatized of the events that had taken place.

The two went store by store, but nothing stood out to the raven haired male. Nothing he saw was worth being given to Gene. The emo was actually starting to lose hope of finding a gift, which he had absolutely been dreading.

"Hey, don't worry, we'll find him sonething." Aphmau said, trying to cheer him up. "And I'm sure that your love will be enough for him if we can't find one."

"I hope you're right...." He sighed, following her to the next store.

~~~~

"I hope this is good enough....."

Zane bit his lip as he stared at the fob chain in the box, a thin cord of precious metal. It was the best gift he could find for his husband, and it was in his budget. Gene had a fancy watch he had gotten from his grandfather on his mother's side, but it had lost the chain a while back. They had replaced it with a sturdy leather strap, but it had become worn out and was bound to break soon.

He slowly reached up and touched the half of his face that was usually hidden by his hair. He had cut the bangs off to get a little bit more money to pay for the chain. He turned around as he heard the door open, expecting it to be Gene.

The black haired male entered the house with a type of crate in his arms. He set it down on the floor and opened it eagerly, his teal eyes shining with excitement.

"Gene? What did you bring home this time?" Zane asked, only to have something ram into his leg. "Hm?"

Looking down, he saw the most adorable puppy looking up at him. It reminded him of an Oreo, a blend of black and white, with bright eyes. The dog's tail was wagging with joy at having a home, a red collar around his neck.

"Well? Do you like him?" Gene asked him, picking the puppy up. "His name is Oreo."

"I wonder why." The raven haired chuckled slightly, petting Oreo on the head. "I love him.... oh! I got you a present too!"

Zane grabbed the box with the chain, happily presenting it to his lover. The black haired male's teal eyes went wide as he saw it, and he set it off to the side after putting Oreo on the floor.

"Do you like it....?" Zane asked nervously, praying to Irene that he did a good job.

Gene didn't answer him with words, instead tackling him to the couch. He smothered the emo in hugs and kisses, tickling his sides. Oreo, being new to their family, didn't know if they were playing or not, so he barked loudly and jumped onto the couch with them.

"You didn't have to buy me a new chain, Zu Zu." Gene smiled, booping his husband on the nose. "Just your love is enough."