Coming Home

Gene didn't know why Zane wouldn't look at him.

Zane wouldn't look at anyone. He kept his gaze fixed on the ground, and he was grasping Garroth's hand for dear life. The blonde would look back at him every now and then, whispering things to him to try and calm him down. Aphmau would glance over at them too, a worried expression on her face.

Gene opened his mouth to say something, when Lucinda placed a hand on his shoulder. He closed his mouth, looking at her with surprise. She looked sad, shaking her head, as though she were saying it was a bad idea to try and talk to Zane. The black haired male looked back over to Zane, only to find that the emo was no longer present.

He's never acted like this before... what in Irene's name could be wrong? Gene thought, generally a bit concerned for the younger.

He decided that it could wait until tomorrow, and that he should focus on the others while he had the time. They may have all lived in the same neighborhood, but they all had things to do with their personal lives. It wasn't like back in high school, when they were still living under the care of their legal guardians and could waste their time on anything they pleased.

He spoke to the others, asking them how their vacation to Starlight Wonderland had gone. They mostly only said things like "it was fine" or "an experience". He had taken note of how shaken up Aaron looked out of all of them, and how he was wearing a red bandana around his eyes. He had seen that bandana before, it had been around Aphmau's eyes and arm when Aaron had been in the hospital or something.

Still, he couldn't shake off the feeling that something was seriously wrong with Zane.... and it bugged him all the way home, and prevented him from getting sleep that night.

~~~~

"Where's Zane?"

Gene was surprised that the emo hadn't shown up to work that morning. He knew how seriously the Ro'Meave Family took the workplace and money, and that Zane especially had been exposed to that behavior. It wasn't like him to miss a day of work, especially since Zane hated taking time to care for himself.

"I had asked Garroth about that too, when he didn't come down for breakfast." Laurance replied with a yawn, still partially asleep. "He said I shouldn't worry, and that Zane only got sick... but we both know better than that."

Gene bit his lip softly, his eyes scanning over the room. His gaze landed on Garroth, who was chatting with Aphmau, Aaron, and Kawaii~Chan towards the back. It wasn't like Garroth to say something like that, especially when it came to people he cared for. He always put in details about Zane, he always did. Something must have been seriously wrong.

"Do you think I should try asking him, or one of the others?" Gene asked the brunette, figuring he would know the best option.

"I wouldn't ask Garroth. He knows how you are, that you don't like Zane.. he might get suspicious of something if you ask him." Laurance answered after a moment, looking at the four people. "I think your best choice would be to try and ask Aphmau."

"Why not Kawaii~Chan? She's dumb and naive, she would spill the beans in seconds." He blinked, not noticing the Meif'wa give him a small glare.

"Don't let her name and cheerful personality fool you, Gene. She may not show it, but she has some fight in her." He frowned, crossing his arms. "Now go do something before the cafe opens up. These dishes aren't going to wash themselves."

Gene made a face, mumbling the same words as the brunette as he walked away from him. He couldn't help but feel the ball of dread rolling around in his stomach, his worry for Zane was weighing him down.

Groaning, he shook his head and pinched his cheeks. He didn't understand why he was so concerned with the emo, he usually didn't care this much... but things had been different lately. With Zane gone, there was no one to pick fights with, no one to make small looks with, no one to think about really...

Gene admitted that he had been a jerk to Zane. "Jerk" didn't even fully describe him back them, the word "asshole" was more fitting. He had been so selfish, so egotistical and inconsiderate... he had done nothing but abuse the emo back then. Physically, emotionally, probably mentally at one point too... he was just glad that he had had enough control and morales then to at least not sexually abuse him. If he could take it all back he would, just to see Zane be happy whenever he saw him again... but that would never happen, and Gene knew it.

Sighing heavily, he returned back to his work.

~~~~

"Zane...."

Gene whispered the raven haired male's name under his breath, standing just outside of his bedroom. He could hear his soft cries from inside, his whimpers and sniffles, his sobs. Gene would glance at the staircase every now and then, just in case Garroth came up them.

He raised his hand to knock on his door, but hesitated as his fingers were brushing up against the wood. He didn't know if he should knock, because he knew how well Zane could hide his true emotions and feelings. It was like he carried a series of masks with him. He didn't want to risk something like that, he wanted to catch him in the act.

At some point Gene realized that he couldn't hear his cries anymore. He immediately grabbed the doorknob, twisting it and pushing the door open without even thinking. If Zane was severely depressed again, then only Irene knew what he could be doing behind closed doors.

Zane was laying on his bed, motionless and silent. He was clutching something in his arms, it looked kind of like a pillow. Oh Irene, was he.... dead? He couldn't be... he had so much to live for in the future, he had so much unused potential... he couldn't have killed himself...

Gene stumbled over to his bedside, nearly tripping on a few things strewn on the floor. He immediately pressed his fingers to Zane's neck, checking for a pulse. He calmed down a bit when he found the pulse, and it wasn't a weak one.

Gene looked to his face, seeing the various tear stains on his face. He had a stitch on his cheek, one that had looked like a nasty wound when it was open and received. The black haired male immediately turned away, but not without keeping his fingers pressed to his neck.

"Irene, Zane, you had me worried sick..." Gene huffed, crossing his arms. "I thought you were cutting or overdosing...."

"G.... Gene.....?" Zane murmured in his sleep, shifting on the bed.

"Yeah, I'm here.... I'm here, Zane..." He whispered to him, not wanting to wake him up. "Oh...."

"They're there... they're hunting him.... let me go...." He whimpered, curling up into a type of ball. "LET ME GO!!!"

As soon as Zane yelled that, his eye snapped open and he launched upward, sitting straight. He was gasping for air, breathing heavily. He slowly looked to the side, just realizing that Gene was there.

The two stared at each in silence, the only sound being Zane's heavy breathing.

"....... Zane--" Gene began after a moment, swallowing a lump in his throat.

Zane didn't say anything, but he still cut him off. He grabbed Gene, wrapping his arms around him as he hugged him tightly. He pressed their bodies together, sobbing into Geme's shoulder like a pillow.

Gene hugged back, not even mad that his shirt was being ruined. He was just happy that Zane was alive, and hugging him. He buried his face into Zane's hair, taking in his embrace.

"I missed you....."

(You can end the oneshotnwith your own interpretations of what happens from there.)