Neglected (Pt 2?)

A continuation of last part~! It's really short, because I didn't know how to add on to the main one, but I hope you still enjoy it!

It had been a year since Gene and Zane got together.

Teaching Zane to feel love was difficult, but Gene was willing to do it. He was unbelieving of all the damage that had been done to his heart, all because of the neglect from his family and people refusing to accept him into their lives.

"Mothers feel love for their babies, right?" Zane asked, looking up from the book he was reading.

"That's right. Do you remember why?" Gene asked, setting a plate down before him.

"Because they have a connection..." He said slowly, picking up one of the waffles. "Right?"

"Partially, yes." He said with a nod, sitting down next to him.

"Oh.." He trailed off, taking a bite out of it.

"Hey, Zane... can I ask you a question?" He asked, giving him a sideways glance.

"Sure, Gene." He nodded, forcing a smile.

"Have you decided on a sexuality yet?" He asked, but immediately regretted the question.

"No..." He sighed, looking down. "It's all too confusing..."

"Oh, ZuZu..." He sighed, hugging him. "It's alright, you can take your time.. things like this are hard to decide on, and you can always change your sexuality."

"Why do I need a sexuality anyway? Why can't we just date any gender or any person and get it over with?" He asked, his eye starting to tear up. "Why does everyone have to judge?"

"I don't know, Zane... I just don't know..." He sighed, grabbing his hand. "But it'll be okay... you'll be okay... we'll be okay..."

"Promise..?" He asked with a sniff, his eye meeting Gene's.

"Yeah, I promise." He nodded, interlocking their fingers.

"I used to think I was straight...." Zane started, making a joke. "But I'm pretty sure I'm turning gay just for you~."

"That was a horrible flirting tool." Gene blinked, before speaking in an offended tone. "And flirting is my thing!"