The Asylum

"Wake up, Zane."

Zane gasped, sitting upward with a bolt. Adrenaline surged through his veins, sweat sticking to his forehead. He must have had another one of the nightmares, the ones where he saw his family dead. That was the same event he had witnessed that placed him in this hellhole in the first place.

He looked to the right side of his bed, to see who had woken him up. It was one of the nurses, a really old one who had no respect or care for any of the children there. He always hoped to see the younger nurse with the brown hair on bedroom duties, but she was the only there that could cook decent food.

"Good, you're awake." The old nurse said, starting to walk away from the bed. "You've been asleep for three days, Zane."

"Three days?" He repeated, taking deep breaths to try and calm himself down.

"Yes, three days." She nodded, grabbing something from the shelf high up on the wall. "Your auntie stopped by a little while ago, said she wanted you to have this."

Zane took the gift carefully, his heart cracking when he saw it. It was his mother's favorite purse, she would always carry it around with her whenever she left the house. It hurt to see the possession of his mother in such a horrid place, but he would take good care of it. Opening it up, he found a letter written to him from his aunt, telling him about she loved him and wanted him to have the purse.

"I have to go tell the doctor that you're awake." The nurse said, walking towards the door. "Don't do anything stupid while I'm gone. That goes for both of you."

Zane looked up, folding the letter into a triangular shape and putting it back in the purse. The bedrooms had two beds, which meant two patients in each room. Zane shared his with Travis, who's bed was on the other side of the curtain that separated them. They could freely go to each other's sides of the room as they pleased, but Travis had the door that led to the hallway.

Getting out of the bed, Zane was greeted by the white nightstand next to his bed. He grabbed the handle of the drawer, pulling on it, but it was locked.

There was a picture of a clown above the nightstand, and a wooden cross mounted on the space above his bed. He had one toy, a small merry go round music player. It had been given to him to help him sleep and have better dreams, but sometimes he wished he had actual toys like the others did. A white curtain covered the one window in the room, where they could look outside. There was a small holder mounted on the wall next to his bed, where a clipboard with a paper was being stored.

Picking up the paper, he read the handwriting in his mind.

Patient: 2506200915000.
Name: Zane Chisisi Ro'Meave.
Age: 8.
Gender: Male.

History: The patient was found near the Phoenix Drop Asylum showing signs of psychosis. //The Ro'Meave Family tragedy. Details omitted.
Treatment: Daily treatment sessions with Dr. Marcel Deern. Different medications have been tried to treat the patient, but all prescriptions have been cancelled due to side effects.

Zane sighed, putting the clipboard and document back on the holder. He had been here for too long. He didn't need to be there anymore, he was perfectly fine, except for a little bit of trauma. He went over to the window, grabbing onto the curtain and moving it. Or, at least, he tried to. The curtain rod fell to the floor with a loud clatter, one of the angled hooks breaking off. He picked it up, turning it over in his hand, before putting it in the purse. He could use it to play pirates with Gene later, if the older male was up to it.