Forty

Jake

Two looming figures were waiting for me by the front door. I was expecting confrontation and I guess this is a good time as any.

Closing the door of the Impala, I trekked the distance papuntang bahay nina AJ. Nasa may pinto sina Migs at Kiel, parehong nakahalukipkip.

I stopped a few meters away, ramdam na ramdam na hindi ako welcome sa bahay nila. At least, not yet.

The tension was thick. Not until lumabas si AJ ng bahay, tumingkayad sa space in between her brothers and then she waved at me, a beaming smile on her lips. My gaze softened and my own lips twitched at the sight.

Maglalakad dapat siya papunta sa akin but both her brothers stopped her from going further.

"Kuya naman, napag-usapan na natin 'to," she whined.

"Pumasok ka muna sa loob, AJ," utos ni Migs.

"Sabi niyo rerespetuhin niyo yung damdamin ko pero bakit hindi niyo patuluyin si Jake sa loob?"

Kiel angled his body towards his sister, giving her his full attention. "Nirerespeto naman namin ng Kuya ang damdamin mo, AJ. 'Yung kanya ang may pagdududa kami."

Migs gave her a gentle pat and directed her towards the house. "Mag-uusap lang kami. Bibisitahin ka ni Jake maya-maya."

She was reluctant to leave me with her brothers so I added, "Go inside, AJ. I'll be with you soon."

Nag-nod siya sa akin and then glared at Migs. Nang i-turn niya ang attention niya kay Kiel, she pointed a finger at him in warning, "Walang gamitan ng kamao kundi wala kang hapunan."

Kiel smirked and gave his sister a two-finger salute. The three of us watched as she retreated inside. Migs was the one to close the front door. Kiel took a step forward, popping his knuckles. Migs placed his hand on top of his brother's, giving him a look as if to warn him to be kind, before he took a step forward as well.

I intercepted him before he got the chance to say anything. "I know I did wrong by your sister. Hindi ko kayo hinarap ngayon to get on your good side. Tatanggapin ko if you harbor your bad impressions of me for a very long time. I will not hold it against you kasi alam kong I deserve your anger and spite after what I did. Especially to you, Ezekiel." I nodded my head to him. When I chanced a look, his glare was still in place pero nakakunot ang noo niya, still hearing me out.

So I continued. "I have a lot to prove to you guys but more to AJ. I want to clear my intentions. Mahal ko ang kapatid niyo. I want to build a family with her and that family will include the both of you kaya I hope in time, I can earn your forgiveness."

I turned my attention fully to Kiel and looked him directly in the eyes. "I'm sorry."

He held my stare, searching for something in it. Maybe it was sincerity or maybe it was regret. Whatever it was, mukhang natagpuan niya dahil he gave a slight nod of acknowledgment kahit may halo pang paghihinala.

I let out a breath I didn't know I was holding. It was a step in the right direction but I know I still have a lot of begging to do. These two will not let me get away that easily but I'll take the hesitant acceptance over not getting a chance at all.

Nag-approach si Migs sa akin at tinapik ako sa balikat, his hand staying there. "Kumusta ulo mo?"

"It's fine."

"Likod mo, may tama pa rin?"

"Kagagaling ko lang sa last checkup ko two days ago and the doctor declared me good."