CHAPTER 2 [below C level]

Mr Hernand is calling out the register when he gets to one name and they don't answer. "Jack Avery" he calls out, no answer, "Jack? has anyone seen Jack" he asks, no one makes a sound. Then the door swings open and in strolls Jack as if everyone has been waiting upon his arrival, like he is some frickin celebrity or something. Everyone glares at him. "Was I late" he asks looking at the teacher, "talk to me after the lesson Jack, we need a chat" he says. Jack sits behind me in math, so he sees me smirking to myself a little at his little 'telling-off'. He rolls his eyes at me when he walks past. I go quiet.

None of Jacks possé is in this class so it's just me and him. Honestly I have no idea how he is in this class since it is higher math and I didn't really take him for a smart type. He was in the other class with Daniel and Corbyn, but then he got moved up. I think the teacher got annoyed with him being an idiot most of the time and just wanted him out of there and for some reason...this was the only class that would actually take him.

I keep my head down and doodle in the corners of my book and I can feel Jack eyes glarring at the back of my head. I feel something hit my head coming from behind and turn to see Jack smiling. "What's the answer to question 4" he asks, I roll my eyes, "if you were here at the begining part of the lesson you'd know" I say, with a bit more sass than intended and I turn back around to continue my doodles since I'm finshed and I don't really want to do anything extra. I hear Jack ask the kid next to him the same question and I laugh to myself, is he really that much of an idiot.

The bell goes and everyone rushes to get out the door, including me, "Jack see me at the front please" Mr Hernand says, I hear Jack groan, "you too Grace" he says catching my attention. "What" I say, "yes you as well Grace" he repeats. I swear if Jack got me into trouble I will kill him, I'm just trying to get through the rest of the school year without anymore problems or distractions. I walk hesitantly up to the front throwing my back pack over my shoulder whilst Jack talks to Mr Hernand.

"So that's why I've asked Grace to stay behind" he says, "I'm sorry," I say questioning what's happening, "Jack here is currently failing maths" Mr Hernand says, "I'm not failing" Jack says in protest, "you're dropping below c level, you moved up to this class because the other work was too easy for you, would you rather move back down" he says sternly to my surprise, Jack goes quiet. "So what am I going to help with" I ask, "currently you're the top in the class, if Jack passes the test and the end of the year, he goes into the next with a strong c average" Mr Hernand says, "all I'm asking is for a couple of study sessions just so you can help him through it" he says.

WHAT NO THANKS.

"Erm, maybe someone else I don't think I could..." I says getting cut off, "I'll add it as more extra credit" he says, I mentally roll my eyes to the back of my head. "Fine" I say. I look at Jack and he looks shocked. "She doesn't have to okay, I'm fine by myself I'll study more" Jack says, "I'd rather you have Grace here to help you, all you have to do is pass the next test" he says to him. "Fine" he says. "Okay well, that's it then, you can go to next lesson now" Mr Hernand says, "free period" me and Jack both say at the same time, "great then you get to work at when you'll be meeting up for these studying sessions" Mr Hernand says, gesturing for me and Jack to leave the room.

GREAT.

Me and Jack walk out the room together not saying a word. Once were out of his sight Jack turns to me and says, "you don't have to, I'll just study more and tell him you helped, that way I pass the test and you get your extra credit" he says, "no, it's fine, you need help if you're dropping below and the stuff we've been doing is hard, even for me" I say, regretting every word of it as soon as I'm finished. "When then" he says awkwardly, "just text me, okay" I say, "okay" he says, "bye" I say and I walk off in hope to find Tess, "bye" I hear him say as I turn and start walking.