CHAPTER 19 [complicated]

I skate to the park and when I get there I see Jack sitting alone on the swings. He hasn't seen me yet so I smile to myself without him seeing. I walk over with the skateboard by my side and sit on the swing next to him. No one else is at the park so were alone. We sit there for a few seconds without saying anything. I don't really know what to say. "Err, I didn't think you'd actually come" Jack says looking at me, "did you really think I was going to leave you to wait alone in the park" I say facing him, he blushes and then smirks. "Well I'm glad you came" he says standing up and holding his hand out to me. I take it as he pulls me off the swing to stand up, "I only came for a little bit, I'm not staying long" I say. "Well then we should go skate now, glad you brought the board" he says letting go of my hand and heading over to the skate park area. I smile as I pick up the skateboard and follow him.

"Why did you give me the board back Jack" I finally ask him after skating for a bit. He sits next to me and smiles, "well, I gave it you, I said you could keep it" he says looking ahead instead of me, "the skateboard was kind of a sign that we could be something one day, so when you brought it back, I saw that I really fucked up" he says, "why are you bothering with me" I ask him, he looks at me confused, "I'm not like other girls, us being together is dangerous yet you keep trying to make it work" I say, "I don't know what it is Gracie, I just know to keep trying until it works" he says. I smile and look ahead instead of facing him. "This was the last place we hung out you know" I say, "did he ever tell your brother" Jack asks, "no" I say, "does your brother know" he asks, "yeah, but he doesn't know I'm with you now or that we've been talking again" I say, "so we are talking" Jack smirks at me, "don't get to happy Avery, I might be thinking about giving you a chance, doesn't mean you have it yet" I say rolling my eyes. Jack doesn't say anything. I don't either. We sit there in silence. Jack moves to sit closer to me, putting his arm around my waist. I fidget a bit when he does so, "sorry" Jack says, "no, its fine" I say, Jack smiles as he puts his arms aroud my waist, this time without me fidgeting.

After a while me and Jack start skating again, laughing at each other fails, "oh my god, how did you fail to do that, it is literally the most easy thing" I laugh, "I'd like to see you do better" he says, "fine then" I say getting up along with the skateboard. I push off and start skating a little to get momentum, I see Jack waiting at the curb for me to do a kickflip off and land it. As I reach the curb I start to kick my skateboard around and instead of landing it my foot misses the board and I end up falling. I fall into his arms like he was already waiting for me to be there. His eyes are sparkling and the smirk on his face grows bigger when he sees me and realises I'm now holding onto him. "Doesn't look like you could do better" he says, "err, I guess not" I say, Jack's eyes flicker between my lips and my eyes, I can't help but stare at his lips, the smirk doesn't leave his face. Jacks face begins to get closer to mine and just when I thought we were about to kiss I finally break myself out of it and push myself away from him to stand up. I don't dare look at his face after so I turn to have him face my back.

"Hey whats up" Jack says placing his hands on my waist and turning me around to face him. I refuse to look at his eyes so I look down at my own hands. "I shouldn't have done that trick" I say picking up the skatebaord left on the ground. "So what you failed, it's not like I did any better" Jack says still trying too pull me closer to him, "no" I say louder, Jack backs away. "I shouldn't have even come out tonight" I say, with my hand resting on my head. "But you did, come on, you feel it too Gracie, I know you do" he says stepping towards me, I take a step back. "Why did you do that" he asks, "do what" I say, "step back" he says looking at the ground, "you stepped forward" I say. "Is it that bad that I wanted to kiss you" he says looking me in the eyes. "yes it is, we can't do this" I say walking past him, he stops me by tugging my hand, pulling me close to him. Our faces are intches apart and I can feel him tracing circles on my lower back. "Nothing is saying we can't" he whispers, "I know you want to" he says, "so what if I do" I whisper, barely being able to get the words out, "so whats stopping us" he says resting his head on mine.