C H A P T E R 2

THE FAULT IN MEETING YOU

RUEN

"It's not real! Wake up!" Someone frantically yelled over me before I felt a familiar sting on my left cheek.

I opened my eyes to see Mim hovering. She pulled me up with a worried expression on her face.

"You never told me that you're still having those dreams—night terrors," she sat legs crossed on my bed seeing that I was already awake.

I sat up, looked around, and realized it was still dark with only the light from the full moon lighting my room. After that night seven months ago, I always slept with my windows open. I'd feel stuffed up and anxious in closed quarters.

"No, I don't. It's just only this time I think." I wiped the sweat that streamed down my face.

She turned my bedside lamp on, grabbed a glass, and poured water from the carafe that I keep on the table. I got off my bed to change my clothes for I was soaked.

When I got back, she handed me the glass of water, "Here."

"Thanks." I drank it and handed her the empty glass back.

"Does it have anything to do with you meeting your grandfather tomorrow?" She asked.

I settled on my bed, "Maybe. You've met the man. You'd be having nightmares too if you were me." I joked.

"I know. Your old man's a bucket full of sunshine, rainbows, and butterflies..." She grimaced.

"Yeah, and that slap you just gave me is just a preview of tomorrow if I even breathe longer than he allows me while in his presence." I laughed at her expression after hearing what I said.

"Tomorrow's just going to be fine." I wondered whom I was fooling with that lie.

I lay down on my bed as she pulled my blanket over my chest and then waited for her to turn off the light and head back to her own room. However, she just stayed there and looked at me as if wanting to say more.

"Go back to bed, Mim." After saying that, I closed my eyes pretending to fall back to sleep.

It was minutes before she finally decided I wouldn't be talking anymore. The lights went off and I felt her leave my bed. Seconds later, I heard the door open and shut.

I dropped the act and looked at the moon from the open window. Moments later, I could feel my lids growing heavy and sleep trying to take me.

I lied to myself.

'It'll be fine.'

* * *

That morning, I came to my grandfather's house and Simon greeted me by the door. He was my grandfather's loyal man. He me ushered inside and handed me tea after I got a little comfortable in the absence of my old man.

"Master had to leave earlier for a meeting, unfortunately," he said.

Fortunately, it must be my lucky day!

I could rest easy now. While waiting for him to say more, an aid suddenly came in bearing bags and a dress in her arms. After putting them on top of the table, she left as quickly as she came. With a brow raised, I faced Simon in query. He took his phone, pressed a button, and held it in my direction.

"Wear those for the dinner later in the evening..."

Old man, sir! No love lost even after a decade.

"... Simon will be picking you up at six and take you to the restaurant..."

The warmth in that voice, hell paled in comparison!

"... I expect you to be in your best behavior..."

You've broken me so many times to prove you only take the best.

"... Do not disappoint me any more than you already do..."

What can I say?

'Sorry I was born the wrong sex?'

Would he even believe me if I said I didn't have a choice?

I stood up and took the bags off the table. I didn't want to hear more.

"... Remember, you owe me for the mess you made months ago. Do as I say if you want to keep what little decency you still have."

There was nothing left.

The recording ended and I enjoyed being back with the uncondemning silence. I smiled to myself as Simon took the bags and dress from my fisted hands.

He walked me back to my car. I unlocked the door and sat inside while he placed the bags on the backseat. I turned on the ignition as he closed the door. Eager to leave but then I had to roll the windows down when I heard a tap.

"Your grandfather's doing this for your own good. He's got your best interest at heart."

Heart? I couldn't believe he has one.

"You're family," he adds.

I'd have chosen better if I could.

I smiled and nod.

Lie better...

"I know."

* * *

I drove around the city to clear my head. It must have been an hour of going around in circles when I finally felt hungry. Deciding to drive to a diner and grab something to eat, I turned the corner for the nearest I could find. I got off my car and absentmindedly made my way to the entrance when I suddenly bumped into someone. I lost my balance and fell on my back. I mumbled 'sorry', got up on my own, and started looking for my glasses.

"I'm sorry I didn't see you." A female voice said.

That voice I know was Pin.

I stopped dusting my hands off and continued to look for my glasses. I still heard her apologizing again.

"I'm sorry. Are you hurt?"

Was I hurt?

I did beforebut now, I might hurt again.