C H A P T E R 40

FINALLY, US

RUEN

"Enjoying, Rue?" John took a seat beside me.

"Some." I sipped on my iced tea.

We're in another season wrap up party for the series.

Another party...

Across the room, Amelia was talking to fellow artists. Dressed in pleated chiffon, the men in that group must be having such a hard time keeping their eyes up.

Wanting me to join her for the night, she made me wear a dress too. But unlike hers, my lace dress covers me up perfectly.

"Oh, there he goes again," John said amused.

Emmett was onto Amelia's side again. Having been introduced to him earlier, I was appalled at the gall of that man.

"Nothing stops him." Annoyed, I leaned back on my seat. "A for effort."

"You have nothing to worry about." He poked my arm. "Lia's hooked on you."

"I guess."

"Hey, Lia already told you how she feels. Is there any problem?" Turning to me, John tried to have me look him in the eyes. "She really loves you. You know that, right?"

I nodded, looking anywhere but John.

"You're in love with her too." He sighed. "So, what's the hold-up?"

My fears.

"I wish everything is as uncomplicated as you make them to be, John."

"Lia's finally decided on you."

"I know."

"She really is." He asserted.

I bit my lip and met his gaze. "Until when?"

Realization dawning on him, John was tongue-tied and slack-jawed.

"Crazy, right?"

"Uhuh, but I guess not unfounded." He acquiesced. "I don't know what to say, Rue."

"You don't have to." I squeezed his hand. "This is all on me now."

"Oh well," He huffed out in resignation. "Let's dance, Rue. Let's shake away the negativities for the next three minutes or so." He offered me his hand.

He led me to the dance floor. Both his hand on my waist, I positioned mine on his arms and we swayed. We enjoyed the quiet moment for a while.

"This time, is the light in your heart flickering out, Rue?" He whispered.

"I—" My hands tightened on his arm.

I stepped into him and buried my face into his chest.

No.

Not that.

Never that.

"I know how I feel for her, John."

"One step forward, two steps back." He embraced me but we kept on swaying. "You calling for a timeout, Rue?"

"No." I shook my head. "I just want to take it slow."

"If you go any slower than you two are now, you might self-combust, babe."

I giggled.

"Don't think I don't see how your eyes follow Lia the moment she turns and you think nobody's looking."